1.9tdi 130 AWX water pump leak

mrnice

Reaction score
Hi folks, has anyone experienced premature failure on a water pump?

I did timing belt & tensioner a etc, aux belt, water pump and coolant change 9k miles ago and just today noticed a coolant leak dripping from the bottom of the engine snub mount at the front. Above that is the crank pulls which is wet with coolant. I've taken the upper timing belt cover off but can't see enough of the water pump pulley to confirm leak is coming from there but don't see where else it'd be coming from to emerge from above crank pulley.
No evidence of leaks elsewhere including around bottom of radiator.

I used a gates timing belt kit and Febi water pump and replaced coolant too so assumed I'd have peace of mind.
When fitting water pump I did everything by the book, cleaned mating faces, lubed o ring etc, so I'm confident it was all fitted correctly.

I'm assuming either knackered pump bearing (in which case coolant would be forced out of weep hole) or failed o ring that seals pump to block. Can't tell without pulling the lock carrier off I guess, and it all means doing the whole damn timing belt rigmarole again too :(

Any other thoughts appreciated!

Thats a ******, can`t really see it being w/pump failure after 9k (I`ve just had my belts done with a Febi w/pump so I hope its not)

Total ******, topped up coolant (had gone down to just below minimum), took engine and can cover off again, took for 10 mile drive, now seems to be dried up. Will just use the thing locally a few days and keep an eye on it, given where the leak is I wander if it could be head gasket leaking from waterway to front edge of head?, hope not but doesn't plausible anyway..

Will strip it down tomorrow and see what i find, will report back

There's an electric waterpump right underneath the inlet that's known for leaking coolant. Be sure to check that!

There's an electric waterpump right underneath the inlet that's known for leaking coolant. Be sure to check that!
Not sure what you mean unless you're talking about an an egr cooler??

....or secondary water pump?, if so I don't think 1.9's had them except for in vans (may be wrong, guess I'll find out!

So pulled the front off today and yep, water pump goosed.

Signs that coolant had been puking from weep hole which I presume is caused by coolant getting through bearing seals?
More staining here bellow the pulley-

The belt and pulleys etc had been nicely sprayed with coolant too, after much cleaning and drying out in went a new belt, tensioner and idler roller. I do wish this car didn't have the hydraulic tensioner damper. It's damn tedious to set up correctly. Timing belt kit was INA, water pump is Ruville.

Suprised and shocked to find it was a Febi water pump that died so soon

Odd isn't it?, I wandered if there were other factors causing the pump to fail (incorrect timing belt tension etc), but while I found adjusting the tensioner awkward at first (first time I'd done one on this engine), I did it all by the book to correct specs inc cam timing. I wouldn't worry, Febi is a trusted brand so it's prob just an isolated failure.

As you`ve said an over tight alternator belt would put undue strain on the water pump bearing or a manufacturing fault could`ve been the cause I suppose, never mind its fixed now thats what matters :rockwoot:

Reactions: mrnice