1.9 TDIe ceasing production?

BehindBlueEyes

TDIeco warrior
Reaction score
Have one of these on order through Masterlease. Was just looking through their lead times and saw the comment that the A3 1.9 TDIe was ceasing production at the end of May, which seemed surprising.

Anyone else heard this?

Guess this explains the free upgrade to Sport specification currently available.

Assume the obvious replacement would be whatever engine's going into the Golf VI Bluemotion, which I think is a 1.6 CR TDI?

i dont think its surprizing isnt it suposed to be a bit low on the power and stuff and they got the 2.0tdi 170 now so it would seem the right thing to do ......

I would also be surprised unless it is being replaced. The selling point of this particular model is the price, tax band and fuel economy. It isn't intended to be powerful hence retiring the 130 bhp version of this engine (in favour of the aforementioned benefits).

My guess would be the same as yours - 1.6 CR TDI would seem a likely replacement.

yeah but you have the 2.0tdi 140 and 170 brake

Yeah exactly. Although they do have the 1.4 TSI with start-stop now. Wonder if that gets into the 13% tax bracket?

I'm only ordering it because with the free Sport upgrade I get taxed on 13% of £17.5k, versus being taxed at about 20% of £20k for the 2.0 TDI. Have test driven a 1.9 TDIe and found it adequate. Used to have the non-eco 105bhp version of that engine in my Golf and that was fine too.

Guess the 1.6 CR TDI is coming sooner than expected as Audi need something to counter the 116d and 118d with.

have you tryed the 1.4 turbo i bet thats pretty good on fuel and not bad on speed got to be better than the 1.6 anyhow ... If you need and want a little extra punch you could always get a remap and youde be more than happy...

No - didn't try any others as based on after-tax company lease cost the 1.9 TDIe was the only one that made sense due to emissions and free Sport upgrade. Economy doesn't really come into it.

For the price of a 1.4T Sport I could've gotten the 160bhp 1.4 Scirocco on 18" wheels, which would have won in that comparison - disappointing as the Scirocco interior is compared to the A3.

So far as I was concerned the A3 1.9TDIe Sport was a much, much better car than anything else for similar money (I'm talking Masterlease pricelist here, not purchase price) which was basically the Volvo C30 Drive SE, new Renault Megane Coupe 1.5 dci or even the new Fiesta.

10B - Im not sure performance and re-mapping is a major priority for 1.9 TDIe owners mate.

I had one for a week or so as a loaner; whilst it wasn't a patch on the top end performance of wife's 123D (nor is it designed to be), I found it better suited for UK driving conditions and easier to push on lower gears. IIRC the gearing has longer ratios that are very well suited to the diesel motor and is a great car for town/city. The 123D on the other hand suffers the peril of very short ratios in the lower gears.

Yep - as expected, here's the announcement:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090602.010/audi-a3-receives-two-new-16-liter-engines

Can't see anything on the UK site though - these aren't in the June 2009 brochure. Also, the free sport upgrade offer on the 1.9TDIe has gone - you only get SE spec for free now, which isn't as good.

Stop-start plus 1.6TDI should make for fairly frugal motoring, but imagine less options for chipping as think this engine tops out at 105bhp from the factory, whereas the 1.9 was always sold up to 150bhp.

Got an email re this today:

Thank you for your recent email.

I can confirm that the 1.6TDi will be available to order on the Audi A3 Cabriolet from tomorrow. This should follow on the to the rest of the A3 range in the near future.

Kind Regards...

Technical data
A3 Cabriolet 1.6 TDI
Cylinder
4 cylinder​
Displacement, cc
1,598​
Power (PS) at rpm
105 @ 440​
Torque (Nm) at rpm
250 @ 1500-2500​
Top speed (mph)