1.9 TDi Vs 2.0 TDi

TripleD

Audi S4 Avant Owner
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just done a search to get some comparisons on a 1.9 TDi Vs 2.0TDi. Most results were based around the 8P Audi A3, so I was wondering what
people thought of these engines in a A4 avant.

I've currently got a A3 2.0TDi SE, and the engine is perfectly fine, gives enough power, and reasonably quiet, but I'm needed to change it to an A4 avant.

I've just seen a A4 1.9 avant sport (130) on Autotrader, and was wondering if it's worth going to have a look. Or whether to just stick to the 2.0 TDi (or if I can find one a 2.5TDi, but they seem rare around this way with lowish mileage).

Having looked at the figures it costs the same to tax, and minor insurance differences, obviously is slightly slower, but in practice is there a really big difference.

In the real world, I'd say theres not a lot of difference at all having owned both. The only difference is a shorter rev range but a stronger initial kick with the 1.9.

The 2.0 is definately smoother all day long and more petrol like and dare I say it nicer to drive due to this but I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with the 1.9, its still a great engine. I had to make the move from a 2.0 to 1.9 when I set my business up two years ago (I got the A6 1.9tdi cheap off my uncle) and it served me well.

Obviously the A4 avant is going to be heavier than the A3 so that will show a difference but then again the A6 I had was no lightweight.

Go and have a test drive and make your own mind up though.

Mike

Hi
as far as performance is concerned theres nothing in it especially if a map is going to get thrown at them ,
the 2.0 will rev a little cleaner at the top than the 1.9 but all in all theres nothing to shout about
economy again is on par ,
as for the 2.5 i like them they sound good and pull well but im allways put off by the stories of repair bills and at the end of the day the lower tax and better fuel economy of the smaller engines for me far out weighs the 2.5 and in every day world a mapped 1.9 or 2.0 will pull as well as a stock 2.5 but be better on fuel ,
one more thing you wont be able to get the 2.0L in a B6 only a B7 A4 so dependes on your budget also
and of course this is only my personal experiance and is by no means set in stone .:icon_thumright:

Cheers for your responses, I was looking at the B7 for the 2.0 TDi, but my budget at the moment will only stretch to a B6.
Seen a nice B7 S line for 11300 tho which is temping me to keep saving, but also seen a B7 1.9TDV TDi for 9000.

Not sure about the remaps tho, I see a lot of people getting them, but I'm always dubious!

Also, is there a website where you can enter the reg or chassis number, and it comes back with the car spec, i.e. what packs were fitted etc.

Cheers for your responses, I was looking at the B7 for the 2.0 TDi, but my budget at the moment will only stretch to a B6.
Seen a nice B7 S line for 11300 tho which is temping me to keep saving, but also seen a B7 1.9TDV TDi for 9000.

I might be wrong but when I was looking at B7's all the 1.9's are the 105bhp versions, not the 130's which are quite a bit slower etc a bit like the A3 variants. the B6 1.9's have the 130 engine (as well as the 105) so just be careful if looking at B7's.

Not sure about spec sheets, I'm sure it has been covered recently on the B7 pages so have a quick flick through the posts in that section.

dont like my dads 170diesel its quick but im not a fan of the clutch or the power range.

Nutkin, how do you think your dad's feels compared to your 190? Less bhp but more torque and shorts revs as you say. Just interested in your opinion having seen them like for like.

I've had a lot of experince of the 1.9TDI's in various flavours and varous vehicles from Golfs through Shrans, Tourans and various Audi's (almost all 130TDI), but only driven the 2.0TDI engine in an A3 and in 140bhp flavour, so probably not a full and fair comparison given there is a 170bhp stock version of the 2.0TDI.

1.9 TDI has a great track record of long life (new turbo's around 150k miles, otherwise not much should go wrong) and certainly the 130TDI flavour can be remapped to 180-190bhp reasonably easilly that would surprise all other unmapped TDI's short of a 3.0...

2.0 TDI is better economy and emisisons per bhp and a slightly smoother power deliver.... but will still only remap to similar values to the 1.9TDI.

2.5TDI has a less favourable track record on reliability to the 1.9TDI's and is massively less economical, but anybody who says there's any comparison in how smooth it sounds and pulls is driving a duff 2.5TDI... on the motoway, in-gear accelleration is very pleasing indeed!

Despite all that, for the money, my pick would be the 130TDI Quattro Sport given it's a lot lighter than the 2.5TDI and rempas to 180bhp rather than teh 220bhp peak of the remapped 2.5TDI.... 'cos you'll still get 50mpg vs the 35mpg that's more likely in the heavier 2.5TDI.... go FWD only if fuel economy is a major priority - it it lighter and more chuckable as well as much more economical, but a lot less fun!

I'm NOT certain if this also appries to Audi A4's, but based on other AG experience, beware that if you're buying a lower end 1.9TDI to then remap that the lower spec 1.9's came with much lower spec clutches... seen new 110/115bhp versions struggle with the torque when bhp gets over about 130bhp or so, while the 130's usually handle 180-190 reasonably well...

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply, some useful information there. A quattro would be nice, but they must be popular as there isn't many about forsale, most are just FWD.

My other consideration is the mileage I do, it's around 20-25k a year at the moment, so getting a TDi car with lower mileage in order to keep the resale value decent is getting difficult. 85k is the lowest I've seen about here, and that's on the 1.9TDi Sport I was thinking about, it's up for £7500.
Kinda wish I could just stretch my A3 into an A4 that way I can keep all the toys on it with low mileage, and a nice engine

tbh - with the 1.9 TDI's they've got such a record of handling high mileage well, you'd probably be better getting a well maintained HIGH mileage example and then then just running it into complete "starship" territory.... that wasy at least the remaining residuals that could be lost to high mileage have been done BEFORE you buy it.... if you find one that's had the turbo, clutch and cam done recently, then you're laughing!

At the last Chip'N'Spin day (well, then last one that I went to) there was a completely stock 115TDI (Passat) with just under 200k that went on the rollers and clocked spot on 115bhp... the guy was worried he needed to replace the turbo (usually required around 150k), but apparently not :)

with 25k miles pa and buying it mostly for economy definitely go FWD...