1.9 TDi tyres

AudidriverA4

Reaction score
I do about 20,000 miles per year. 5 months ago I fitted a new set of Hankook tyres at a cost of €115/£100 pound a corner and they are nearly wore out already.....

could anyone recommend a good quality set of tyres that have the ability to last a good 20 k miles and also give good grip if that's possible?

are they worn evenly?

I've just bought a pair of falken ze914's that are newly out and have good fuel and grip ratings but no idea on how long they'll last.

Before i had michelin pilot sports and they lasted an age, carefully driven, well over 25k+

so the Falken's are a bit of an experiment to see what fuel economy benefits you get (c instead of e-f rating)

i do 22k per annum so figure fuel is more significant than tyre cost.

And

are they worn evenly?

I've just bought a pair of falken ze914's that are newly out and have good fuel and grip ratings but no idea on how long they'll last.

Before i had michelin pilot sports and they lasted an age, carefully driven, well over 25k+

so the Falken's are a bit of an experiment to see what fuel economy benefits you get (c instead of e-f rating)

i do 22k per annum so figure fuel is more significant than tyre cost.

And

cheers and

sorry I meant to say my front two tyres are wore out, still a good 50% left in the rears

the Michelin pilot sports sound just like the right tyre to go for.

thanks mate

Pirelli P Zero's are one of the top rated summer tyres...

Which Hankook's were they? If they're summer tyres and you've been using them in winter, then remember that they wear 40% faster below 7C even faster if you've been driving on snow and ice: and a lot of this winter has been below 7C and some on-off snow and ice...

Which Hankook's were they? If they're summer tyres and you've been using them in winter, then remember that they wear 40% faster below 7C even faster if you've been driving on snow and ice: and a lot of this winter has been below 7C and some on-off snow and ice...

That's very intersting to know.
I'm not sure whick version they were, I'll need to check them,

Maybe all season tyres would be the best to go for ?

You're a proper winter tyre geek now! :readit:

You're a proper winter tyre geek now! :readit:

Guilty as charged...

I love 'em... more you read about them, the more sense they make: I just love watching people say how it's a luxury they can't afford, but then upgrade their alloys and trash a perfectly good set of low profile (and expensive) summer tyres, when a much cheaper set of winter tyres on their old wheels would have been safer (for them and their insurance premium) AND cost them less tyre wear....

I figure the more people I get onto winter tyres:
1) the cheaper and more available they will get for everybody (no longer a special import that cost smore and I have to wait for)
2) the less chance I'll have of my road being clogged up with idiots driving around in cars that can't stop/turn and having silly fender benders or just getting stuck*.
3) the less my insurance premiums will go up due to people having the aforementioned avoidable fender benders.
4) the less likelihood there is of me being run into by somebody who is is a car that can't stop properly on cold wet roads because it's on the wrong tyres...

*quattro's excluded from the "getting stuck" comment... but not from the others...