1.9 TDI SE or 2.0 TDI

emzino

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm posting for a friend so bare with me...

He's going to get an A3 on finance and has 2 options to go with.

1) 54 1.9TDI SE / 9k on the clock
2) 03 2.0TDI SE / 20k on the clock.

There both going for roughly the same price but what his dilemma is (and i'd very much like to know the answer to this too) that whether the 2.0 unit is worth getting over the 9k mileage 1.9? Is it that superior?

It's just that theres such a difference in the mileage and he isn't sure what to do.

Hopefully some of you could shed some light onto the situation to which to go for and why.

Many thanks in advance from me and him heh.

Tough one but personally I'd go with the 2.0. It definitely a much better engine and 11k difference on the mileage isn't much - it might seem like twice the miles but you'll do 11k in no time. Other factor is that the 1.9 is still in warranty for a bit which could sway things.

2.0 all the way - a much smoother engine than the 1.9

dont worry about the 11k - its a VAG engine and deisel

plus only 20k on the the clock in nearly 4 years for a derv?? thats pathetic :p lol

If economy is important,the 1.9 beats the 2.0 hands down.
Even though I definitely drive my 2.0tdi more gently,my 1.9tdi A4 (bigger car too) was a good bit more economical.
Even driving it like I stole it,the A4 did 49mpg.
Low 40's with the 2.0tdi,in a lighter car too,driven more gently (don't enjoy driving this car quickly,so I don't).

So the very slight performance and refinement improvements you get with the 2.0tdi do come at a cost,in my experience.

In my car,the 7% increase in power (130bhp 1.9 / 140bhp 2.0) costs me 20% more fuel.

2.0TDI every time; not just for more power, but it is a touch more refined and every bit as frugal. In fact, our Sportback 2.0TDI is more economical (48mpg all-time average on DIS) than my wife's old Golf TDI S (90bhp) but obviously miles faster.

One other important reason: residuals. I'd be absolutely certain that the 2.0TDI will retain more of its value because it's more desirable, even though the 1.9TDI is the newer car.

I agree, 2.0TDI every time. I get 48-50mpg on average out of my 2.0TDI.

bowfer said:
Even driving it like I stole it,the A4 did 49mpg.

HTH did you get 49mpg from a 1.9 130 A4? Ours manages 40 at best in a normal mix and that can be with gentle driving. Best we ever saw was just over 47 on a run from Bedford to Aberdeen.

There must be something wrong with ours :shrug:

Hm. Worrying to hear that the TDI-140 doesn't move as much as it should
thumbsdown.gif
I'll definitely push for a 170 if I can scrape up some more money together.

I'd love the T/FSI unit but i'm not sure if it would drink alot of petrol, which is why i'm opting for a TDI engine.

Alternatives I have in mind was:
1) Volvo (something but TDI).
2) Audi A4 (TDI but could be a little too big).
3) VW Golf (new shape, TDI).
4) VW Jetta (TDI).

I'd love the A3 though, think the shape is unique and modern. Any ideas on the alternatives?

Definitely the 2.0, and a 170 if you can stretch.

Or consider a 140 then get a remap!

Hm. Think i'm defo gonna go for the 2.0 170 but otherwise i'll get the 140.

Only thing worrying me is the reliability issue. Without letting the name/badge get to our heads, what is the real deal with the 8P 2.0TDI?

Does it have a common problem, niggle or major fault with it?

Same here - and my Sportback was one of the first UK models to be delivered. 2.0TDI is rock solid :)

Macduff said:
HTH did you get 49mpg from a 1.9 130 A4? Ours manages 40 at best in a normal mix and that can be with gentle driving. Best we ever saw was just over 47 on a run from Bedford to Aberdeen.

There must be something wrong with ours :shrug:

Mine did 49mpg and it was thrashed mercilessly.
Got more then 50mpg on longer runs (Aberdeen to Blackburn/Manchester/London etc.)
Longer runs were usually loaded up with blokes and luggage too.
Usually cruising around the 90mph mark too.
It was a very frugal car.

I would suggest Audi's variable engine build quality explains why my A4 was good and yours isn't.
I evidently had a good one,you don't.

Same with the 2.0tdi.
Some drink oil,some don't.
Some are frugal,some aren't.

It's a lottery,which is shocking really.
All you can do,when ordering an Audi,is cross your fingers and hope you get one of the good ones !

Put it this way,we have 5 VAG cars in our fleet and only one doesn't drink oil.
So,going by the evidence here,you have a 20% chance of getting a good one.

bowfer said:
Some 2.0Tdi engines drink oil,some don't.
Some 2.0Tdi engines are frugal,some aren't.

It's a lottery,which is shocking really.
All you can do,when ordering an Audi,is cross your fingers and hope you get one of the good ones.

From reading the posts on here I would have to agree! Mines not a heavy drinker of oil but I don't seem to be able to achieve the same kind of economy figures as others on here.

J.

Well, I'm on my 6th Audi, and none of them have 'drunk oil'.

My current 2.0T, bought Sept 1st, is still on the full mark !

bowfer said:
I would suggest Audi's variable engine build quality explains why my A4 was good and yours isn't.

Looks like it.

Interestingly mine doesn't burn any oil because (IMHO) I didn't baby it from new. Don't know if that's a factor

Macduff said:
Looks like it.

Interestingly mine doesn't burn any oil because (IMHO) I didn't baby it from new. Don't know if that's a factor

Neither did my A4.
My A3 is heavy on fuel and oil though.
Definitely got an easier life than the A4 too.

For the record,we have the following VAG cars here.

My A3 2.0tdi - heavy on oil
Passat 2.0tdi - heavy on oil
A3 2.0Fsi - heavy on oil
A4 2.0Tfsi quattro - heavy on oil
Jetta 2.0tdi - doesn't use oil

Can't comment on their respective fuel consumptions though.