1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.9 tdi quatrro clutch slipping DIY on the street ?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by boytrigg, Jan 21, 2014.

1. boytrigg

boytrigg Member

[Jan 21, 2014]
    Hi everyone one im a newbie to the site im looking for some help lol ive recently bought a 2002 a4 1.9tdi quattro and the clutch has started slipping im going to replace it before it gives up i was wondering if it would be recommend doing this with out a ramp on the street with minor mechanical knowledge ive never done a clutch before but im pretty confident on the mechanical side of things also the car has been remapped im wondering if the standard replacement clutch would handle the torque or is it worth while upgrading cheers everyone any help would be much appreciated
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Active Member

[Jan 21, 2014]
    If you are taking it off on the street. How comfortable are you working underneath a car?

Also define what you mean by minor mechanical knowledge. If I were you I would make sure I have a backup car/transport ready should something out of the ordinary set you back.

Taking it off isn't too much of a problem however putting it back on can sometimes be a bit of a struggle.
  4. benjie

benjie Active Member

[Jan 21, 2014]
    I have had a standard clutch on my remapped 1.9 tdi quattro for 60,000 miles, no problems.
  5. desertstorm

desertstorm Well-Known Member

[Jan 21, 2014]
    Hello again :) .
    As I said on the UK Passats forum.
    If it's just a phase 1 map of a 130 pd engine so running around 170bhp that will be fine on a standard clutch. Just stick with a Sachs or LUK clutch.
    As for changing the clutch in the street, You wouldn't catch me crawling around under a car in the street. Too much to go wrong.
    I changed the clutch in my Passat myself on the drive. You need to get it jacked up pretty high and you need some help man handling the gearbox as they are around 80Kg.
    I replaced the 5 speed box in my car with a 6 speed and changed the clutch and DMF at the same time. Completed over a weekend last year. Just needed some help to man handle the new box in, Got the original out on my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A ball of string is handy for tying up the bits and pieces out of the way.I knocked up the wooden cradle affair for the jack to make it easier to support the weight of the box.

[​IMG]
  6. boytrigg

boytrigg Member

[Jan 21, 2014]
    hello again desertstorm haha thanks for that ive ordered up a luk clutch kit hopefully arrive here for the weekend i think il give it ago myself whats the worst that can happen lol famous last words if all goes wrong il ask the vw mechanic at the top of the road for some help ive never done a job as big as this mostly just brakes and springs an the odd service hopefully all goes well confidence is the key to success so they say
  7. spartacus 68

spartacus 68 Active Member

[Jan 21, 2014]
    If it were me I'd get another set of ramps under the front wheels once they're jacked up. They're cheap enough, and would give me more peace of mind than simply using axle stands, especially when you're manhandling 80kg gearboxes!

This is on a B5 1.8T - so you can see roughly what you're undertaking.
    AudiWorld Tech Articles
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  8. desertstorm

desertstorm Well-Known Member

[Jan 21, 2014]
    If you were to put another set of ramps under the front wheels it wouldn't be as high as it was with the axle stands. I actually raised the car up another notch on the axle stands to get some more room.
    I then got the spare wheel and the winter wheels and put them under the front wheels.
    Still left the axle stands in place but if something was to happen to one of the stands the car would still be well up in the air.
    Didn't take a photo of the car in that position though.

Karl.
  9. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

[Jan 22, 2014]
    I would pay a mechanic to do it especially if you don't have tools and place to do it ! I have done many clutches, boxes and engine rebuilds on my drive and i would not attempt one without a engine stand- last box i done was a nightmare to get back in- never again ! I prefer to have the engine hanging on a hoist than wrestling with a heavy and slippery gearbox under the car with minimal clearance ! Even now i have a car hoist/ramp i still prefer to take the engine out when working on my own ! You also get to replace fluids at the same time + you can do a timing belt at the same time for peace of mind- would not cost you much extra as the front is off anyway !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. adamss24

[Jan 22, 2014]
    I would pay a mechanic to do it especially if you don't have tools and place to do it ! I have done many clutches, boxes and engine rebuilds on my drive and i would not attempt one without a engine stand- last box i done was a nightmare to get back in- never again ! I prefer to have the engine hanging on a hoist than wrestling with a heavy and slippery gearbox under the car with minimal clearance ! Even now i have a car hoist/ramp i still prefer to take the engine out when working on my own ! You also get to replace fluids at the same time + you can do a timing belt at the same time for peace of mind- would not cost you much extra as the front is off anyway !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. deano1978

deano1978 different gear

[Jan 22, 2014]
    On the subject of clutches,im getting some minor slippage on full throttle in 3!
    Im remapped,egr deleted,catless all the way.
    Looking at upgrading turbo some,so upgraded clutch is due 1st.

So far ive noticed black diamond stage 1,2,3
    Black panther stage 1,2,3

Stage 2 quote 25-40% increase on power,but also say that if your diesel is remaped,get stage 3???

And stage 3 is compition paddle style, hmmmmm?

Any info chaps?
  12. adamss24

[Jan 22, 2014]
    Sachs SRE organic clutch and genuine DMF, should be fine with what you will put trough it !
  13. swarcup

swarcup Well-Known Member

[Jan 23, 2014]
    i contemplated doing mine on the drive until i looked at what was involved, so i bought all the parts myself and had the garage fit it for £220 all in with fluids. It took them 1 full day to do it. I just went to work and earnt some extra cash to cover it as i figured i do what i do best and they do what they do best. After all that box on the passat doesnt look as big as the box on my quattro so actually refitting and maneuvering it about in winter on my back. No thanks
  14. Mike_B

Mike_B Member

[Jan 23, 2014]
    - - with the car on axle stands - an accident just waiting to happen as you lie under the thing pushing and heaving a heavy lump of metal. I had a Land Rover come off axle stands once while I was under it doing something not diss-similar. Fortunately, I also had additional "protection" in place which stopped it coming down on me!! Never again.
    DieselJake likes this.
  15. glenandem

glenandem Member

[Jan 23, 2014]
    as an ex mechanic i did mine on the drive and piece of pie!
    very easy took me an hour or so out and took my time going back in with bacon butties etc!
    if you are going to do it my advice would be to get the back jacked up as i only had 2 axle stands and one jack so got the front as high as i cold but struggled near the back of the gearbox, i lifted the gearbox in and out myself and didnt need anybody, was easy enough especially as i rested it on subframe to have a breather, but if you can get a mate,many hand and all that.
    put a sachs clutch and dmf in mine bought from ebay for £300 bargain and mines got a cheap black smoke remap and it handles that easily.