1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.9 tdi poor fuel economy

Dwood Jan 29, 2013

1. Dwood

Dwood New Member

Hi, seen this on a few different threads now but any idea why I would be getting poor fuel economy? Filling up I'm getting 430 miles to full tank instead of the 600 ish I use to get. also poor mpg round town and on runs only getting 38 mpg, heard all sorts of things from check brakes aren't sticking slightly etc, any ideas?
    thanks

2. have you noticed any irregularities with your temp gauge? coolant temp sensor and thermostat going bad can affect mpg, also when was it last serviced? have you had it plugged in to vagcom to check for codes?

3. SL11CKK

SL11CKK Active Member

How's your power delivery? Anything apart from mpg that you have noticed is wrong

4. Dwood

Dwood New Member

Haven't noticed anything and last month I had water pump changed , belts done and head sorted out as it was cracked but since had all that done it runs smooth as .. But mpg has significantly dropped :s don't know if this could of affected it but going to get it booked in for vagcom see if it throws up any codes.

5. Dwood

Dwood New Member

everything seems fine although could be a little lag, as if turbo taking time to kick in, I can't really tell or remember what it was first like.

6. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

wonder if the timing could be out a bit from when they did the belt

get them to check the torsion value when they do the scan it should be as close to 0 as possible

this can affect fuel economy if its not set right

also whats your location? there could be someone in your area who can help

7. Dwood

Dwood New Member

cheers thanks I will get them to check when I get the scan done, I'm north west, Lake District .

8. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

Bit far from me otherwise I would have said to pop over

also get them to check the MAF readings too