1.9 Tdi Pd130 Awx Very Bad Mpg!!!

sickoA4

Reaction score
Hi everybody i have a severe problem with my mpg i find it impossible to get over 34 mpg as a adverage and the other one on the trip that tells you the current mpg (i think) bounces all over constantly up and down between 5mpg and 200mpg i have no idea y but i do kno its not just a faulty trip computer as diesel doesnt seem to be lasting nowere near what it shud anybody come across this before any help would be apretiated cheers

A couple of years ago mine was only averaging 33mpg but a few changes and I now average a steady 44mpg and I don't drive like miss Daisey, also the mpg figures given by the dis are always a little generous to say the least, my on board computer says I average a constant 47-48 mpg.
So firstly check your engine temp sits at a steady 90 (gauge in the middle) if not change the temp sender and thermostat,if still not what you would expect clean or replace the MAF, also make sure all filters air and pollen are clean I notice a drop in average when a service is due,with all these things done you should see a improvement to your mpg.

Reactions: Venomuk
Round town my AVF average 35-38mpg and on long runs I hit 45-50 mpg easily.

Cheers guys doesnt feel too bad now i kno thats around about what other people are getting i do kno i need to replace the filters just havent got around to it yet so should see a little increase there and is the constant jumping around of the current mpg also normal i mean from 5 mpg all the way up to 200mpg just seems like sumat is broken lol

The instantaneous fuel economy will jump around all over the place, If you lift off and are costing then it will read 200mpg, If you floor it in second then you can get it to read less than 10mpg.
To calculate fuel economy the best way is to fill it to the brim reset the trip, drive it and then refill to the brim.
My 130 AWX Passat estate used to do low 40's around town and low 50's on a run. That was mapped to over 200bhp with a BV43 turbo and various other bits. As above I would check the coolant temp sensor as this is a very common failure. The sensor has sensors in it, one feeds the temperature gauge the other the ECU, The new design sensor is green, the old ones are black.

There is on the dis 2x mpg's one is your average and the one that's jumping about is your actual mpg at that given moment on or off throttle
Hope this helps ;)

I dont think it wud be temp gauge as it always climes to 90 degres and stays there or would this do this even if there was a fault i think il try changing all filers n replacing the maf to see if that gives any imcrease and then go from there and if ther was a temp gauge fault would i notice the performance being affect due to over fueling

Most likely the syncro angle is off- remnants of a mark and pray job ! Get it to someone that knows what they're doing and have it adjusted, you won't believe the difference it makes !

I had poor Mpg a while back in my 130 ASZ and found I had a sticking brake caliper. After sorting that I started getting better economy.

As I said earlier the coolant temperature sensor actually contains 2 sensors.Thats why it has 4 wires. One feeds the gauge the other feeds the ECU. It is possible and it does happen that the temperature gauge will work fine but the signal the ECU gets will be wrong.
Tyre pressures, calipers sticking, incorrect cam timing and many other things will cause poor fuel economy. Just changing parts blindly is not usually the cheapest or best way of sorting it. Some simple checks with VAG-COM will quickly show whether a MAF is duff. It will also allow you to check the cam timing and other sensors.

Karl.

Synchro angle was my problem too like adamms24 said
Full service
Vag com and fix any errors
Brakes, suspension
Tyres and tracking
Synchro angle

And that's it's really. If it still poor on diesel then you've missed some thing on vagcom such as a chuffy injector

Btw I had terra clean done at 180k and it made a massive difference

Is it lumpy and chuffing a little white smoke when started first time of the day? Then usually fine the rest of the day? Could be a leaky injector, which I have had on 3 different cars, and all gave poor mpg until fixed, then ran like a dream. Try the above first though.

Its not running lumpy and havent noticed any smoke when first started but will check in the morning when first started i do have a strong smell of diesel fumes outside the car on tick over is this normal this is my first diesel by they way sorry if im a idiot haha:jester:

;)

Mine doesn't have diesel fume smell but my Xtrail and Freelander did, and both had leaky injectors. The XT started out as 39-41mpg (calculated properly) but since they started the leak, it has dropped to 35mpg. The Freelander was bought very leaky. I replaced all 4 injectors and MAF before driving it and had 42mpg easily sometimes up to 45mpg which was exemplary for TD4 Freelanders.

Are you predominantly driving short trips around town? Diesels take a longer time to warm up and reach efficiency. My mate had a Golf 130PD and got really ***** mpg as he was doing 5mile journeys. They changed to a petrol Zafira and saved money!!!!

I dont like the sound of leaky injectors sounds exspensive haha and ye mostly all my journys are local around town n to work and stuff like that max trip is probs about 5 miles or less unless its on a weekend and i go some were