1.9 starting problems

mattyb6

Reaction score
Finished work at 6am only to find the car wouldn't start

It just kept turning, it's done it before but only a few seconds before firing.
But today at no avail

Manage to jump start it from my mate Vauxhall mocka

It still took a while though to eventually get it going

Any body got any ideas?
I'm thinking heater plugs as they haven't been charged for 2 year gone jan with abut 50k milage

Battery is 18month old and is a Bosch s4

All electrics in the car were fine, so don't think it was electrical in that sense, plus the alternator was changed just before I got the car 3.5 years ago

Il try and get it vagcom'd ASAP

Just hoping someone has a quick fix before I go back to work tonight

Get the battery load tested in a garage somewhere and change/check glow plugs are not dead. Mine had three dead glowplugs but still started, just took slightly longer to turn over.

I'm sure it's a measuring block and each section measures each plug, same for injectors I believe

Might treat myself to vcds this week

I think vcds dont cover glow plugs just the relay time ect. only way to test is by hand/eye.i stand to be corrected...on the 1,9tdi.
your better off getting a multimeter and start there. check your glowplug caps/cover are on aswel.
id say you bang on with diagnosis.get a jump start rigged up,give the glowies 3-4 blasts try that.

Chassis Type: 8E - Audi A4 B6/B7
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 0F 11 15 16 17 18 36 37 45 46 55 56 57 65 67
69 75 76 77

VIN: **** Mileage: 56290km/34976miles
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BLB.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 GN HW: 028 101 211 3
Component: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 9618
Revision: 12345678 Serial number:
Coding: 0000072
Shop #: WSC 00561 210 91481
VCID: 75EA67526547

1 Fault Found:
17056 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit (Q11): Electrical Fault
P0672 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1407 /min
Torque: 154.0 Nm
Speed: 43.0 km/h
Load: 40.4 %
Voltage: 14.21 V
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Temperature: 17.1°C
Bin. Bits: 10110000

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

This was number 2 glowplug blown.

how come mine didnt detect it then? i stand corrected :oops:

Not sure mate, maybe slight differences in ECU.s

Car was fine this morning, I did put the sidelights on first too but not sure it's coincidence

i started mine late afternoon 12.5 started best it ever has. lazy injector on startup i think is mine but yours seems not to be.you got a video?
have you seen mine?

That turns over wayyyy too slow mate.

Il get one in the morning if I remember
It doesn't take aslong as yours though

so far new battery,injector loom,glow plugs,full service,diesel moly purge.engine and coolant flush.temp sensor and stat.egr delete.not a single bit of difference.

thats next gaskets in the boot,weathers doing my head in

Ok update the new tandem hasnt worked still smokes on 1st start :(

Ignore the slow startup new battery sorted that.

Id say blue in colour so fuel? i might buy a set of injectors and send away for refurb?

Blue tinted smoke is oil burning, so could be leaking turbo seals or headgasket.

Has the coolant bottle got any discolour ro it or the oil dip stick/oil cap

No none,and ive always kept a close eye on level since ive had this problem.oil is the same as it was when serviced.not used any.
no gunk/mayo either. ive always thought blue smoke on startup is fuel...blue smoke constantly is oil burning? once it has cleared it hardly smokes unless booted,and thats black smoke= remap

Valve stem oil seals, if these are worn/hard then they will allow oil to run into the cylinders when the engine is at rest. Once started the oil will burn off! With the engine running the oil would not get into the cylinders!

Does it miss for a second when it starts then the misfire clears and you just get smoke till that clears ?

Yeah missing/knocking not as much since its warmer.still smokey though

Still definitely sounds like an air leak in the fuel line somewhere , PD ,s are bitches for it.

Have you cleaned your egr valve out recently? Worth a look.

Going to get a fuel pressure gauge and do some tests i think.
Egr has long gone :)