1.8tqs remap options...

S3 Rav

Reaction score
Hi all i have a question to ask if i may. my cousin has a w reg 1.8tqs which he is looking to remp. he loves the revo remp on my s3 and has just had a full turbo back milteck put on. he has been told however by a certain revo dealer that he would not be able to get a revo. is this right. have any other people on this forum got revos with their b5's? many thanks:sos:

Yeah Revo is generally a flash where the 1.8Tq needs a new chip soldered on.

I would go to MRC if your down south. They are very well thought of.

I had the same problem. Jim at Star wasn't able to help me out, so I went to JBS (Custom Code) in Chesterfield and they sorted me out with a new chip.

Very happy with the result. Was a long trip for me though.

N

I had mine done at the chipped uk rr day mine was a chip replacement too.
Very happy with it before and after readings too.
There is one on the 8th nov £250 all in.

so there is no way of getting a revo remap on his car then? what do people recomend on here then. MRC are good i know. my cousin likes the punch of the revo and i know the cc is more progressive. any suggestions. im located in coventry

Chipped UK here too, very happy. You can have 3 kinds of map, economy, fast road and race, so i assume you can specify how you would like it to be.

The original map i had was quite smooth, but the latest one i have is a nice kick, so aks and you shall find at the bargain price of £250 with before and after rolling road graphs too

Coventry! your only a stones throw from chipped uk in bromsgrove!
People have travelled 100's of miles to go to them.
210+bhp!!!
2 from wales trusted an english man with their Audis also.

so chiiped uk is a good place then with a rolling road. good good. what sort of increases would he be looking at. obv i know its all different and i know the manufacturer "claim" certain things. i suppose he may expect a few more horses with the new turbo back exhaust. jeleous!

When I had mine it went from 176 to 212.7, but they thought it would be higher but said would settle in so i'm going back for a power run to see.

My goal on the day was to break 210 but wasnt sure if it would. Very happy when it did.
The numbers are not important really it how it feels after when you drive it.
Most 1.8t b5 are 150 but the sport kicks out 180. I think jason/mark did an a6 180hp quattro that had 226 after if i remember.

****** hell 226bhp after the remap. his car is very nice and pulls nicely. doesnt do too bad against my s3 really. i agree though it isnt all about the figures but its nice to see a good increase at the same time.

Mine went from, 196 to 230bhp at Star.

I had a decat and system fitted at the time though. Jim was pretty impressed with the figures before the map.

Just to note that was with the standard K03s turbo.

all pretty good increases then. thankx alot for all your help guys. has been great and ill let my cousin know. anymore information would be great so keep going.

why does the 1.8tq need a chip when the mk4 golf gti can be mapped?

I have a 630cc file on a spare ECU that was just flashed, no hardware change.
surprised it needs an old school soldering approach

depends on age, pre facelift and some facelift drive by cable need soldering, DBW = Flashing as they use the ME5 engine management and it has more available on board memory as well as eprom style chips rather than ROM (once only) chips

I think that makes sence

the write once chips are usually eproms and the rewritable ones are eeproms, the extra e means erasable

The older ECU's might well have eeproms (and probably do) but the rest of the ECU control circuitry might not have the ability to actually erase the chip or put it into writable mode...

The soldering required is usually installing a socket to allow the chip to be removed and inserted easily. They may or may not give you a new chip, although seen as the chips cost peanuts i'd imagine they'll just replace it

I would imagine with relatively little expense you could simply read off the data on one of the remapped chips and write it to a new one, would just need the socket fitting in the ECU...

The older ones do not have writeable chips, i have had a nice long convo with the tuner and was shown the differences. It basicly comes down to DBC = Solder, DBW = Flash.

I have noted they do not tend to fit sockets as the chip can all to easliy rattle loose and cause connection problems. It also give some control for the tuner and prevents indaviduals messing around with the chips etc
To the OP w reg is around the swap over point of DBW/DBC so does your cousins car have a throttle cable?

i very much doubt a chip would rattle loose from a proper IC socket, especially seen as a lot of cars (most vauxhalls from the mid 90's for instance) have socketed EEPROM's as standard.

But yer, socketing the chip would mean its easier for someone to copy it. Anyone know if the chip is coded to the ECU in any way? Or would a straight copy of the device work perfectly.

Ive seen some cool kit where you can live map bosch motronic ecu's using a PC with an EEPROM emulator hooked into the ecu in place of the original eeprom. Once the map has been perfected they then write it to a real chip and away you go!

I guess someone doing a custom remap on a older ecu would probably fit a socket to facilitate the swapping of chips that'd be required to get the map spot on.

Coming from the vauxhall background there was an abundance of copied EDS phase chips floating around ebay because it was simply a case of pulling the IC, dropping it into a reader and saving off an image of it then writing out new chips. Anyone with a bit of brains and £50 of hardware could copy them no problems!

actually, arent GIAC offering flashable remaps for non-DBW B5s?

I seem to recall reading something on here recently about this...

**** :(

I guess it doesnt really matter too much how the program manages to find its way into the ecu,
if anything it means that the place doing the mapping actually needs to have some intelligence to be able to properly fit the new chip!

Well I have a chipped ecu for a 1.8TQ which I would swap with you for a £100 if your intrested hay if you come down you can try it out first to see if you like it.

Doc,

If S3 RAV doesn't take you up on that offer, I'd love to! Was just reading this thread also considering my options, but that would be a no brainer! I'm in Kent, so popping up wouldn't be a problem.....

Obviously it would be up to RAV first, and you obviously!!

Let me know mate....

Cheers
Simon

mines DBC and my ECU was flashed.....

Doc,

If S3 RAV doesn't take you up on that offer, I'd love to! Was just reading this thread also considering my options, but that would be a no brainer! I'm in Kent, so popping up wouldn't be a problem.....

Obviously it would be up to RAV first, and you obviously!!

Let me know mate....

Cheers
Simon

thanks for all the info guys. told my cousin to have a look last night which he did. i think its looking like chipped uk. they seem to come with good feedback. simon you can go for the chip mate. thanks all again for the info guys:thumbsup:

AJL 99 facelift non DBW
ECU code 8DO 907 558 DA

flashed by Chris Tapp (of the GT35'd sub 10 second 1/4 A4 fame)

Yeah that one of the facelift DBC ones . One of the few that can actually be flashed. Thanks for the info, i appreciate it. For us its mostly the AJL engines that are DBC but flashable, after the AJL its the APU DBW in the B5 IIRC

thanks for all the info guys. told my cousin to have a look last night which he did. i think its looking like chipped uk. they seem to come with good feedback. simon you can go for the chip mate. thanks all again for the info guys:thumbsup:

Thanks Rav,

Simon

Yeah that one of the facelift DBC ones . One of the few that can actually be flashed. Thanks for the info, i appreciate it. For us its mostly the AJL engines that are DBC but flashable, after the AJL its the APU DBW in the B5 IIRC

correct.
I spent 18 months looking for this particular car/engine combo, glad I did now as I had no idea the earlier ones were chip only

jcb: any particular reason you wanted that engine? or do you just mean a 1.8TQS...

Afaik the AJL was the only 180hp engine fitted to B5 A4's?

I wanted that engine because it was the large port 180bhp DBC version. They do a few different variants but I wanted large port and DBC, I ended up with 180 because I wanted quattro first and foremost
http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34368

I bought a spare ECU for £70 and the map loaded on anready to go.
If I ever pull my finger out and get the engine in I will plug it in and see how it goes! been a bit busy recently so I haven't even got the rods in yet!

Interesting chart. I wonder why only the transverse versions of the motor have forged cranks...

Also whats the "VVT" thats mentioned? never heard of VVT on a 20vT before

Oh right thats a good deal then for £70.

What models use the same ECU as the AJL as they dont get that engine in the US?

So does the large port mean the size of the inlet? As I have noticed you get large and small sizes in the inlet manifold spacers from the US.

VVT - Variable valve timing
its the block under the cam chain on some heads

AJL is the same as AEB, except they tend to have the chain driven oil pump