1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8tq idle?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Pontio, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Pontio

Pontio Member

Hi guys i had a look at an audi a3 1.8t quattro today and loved everything about it. the only thing i am not 100% about is is it normal for them to slow down as the revs drop past 1000rpm? It idles fine on about 800 but when u give it a rev and then let the revs drop it goes down smoothly and then slows down a noticeable amount when it reaches and tries to go past 1000rpm.
    Any help would be great as i may buy this car tomorrow if all is well.
    Thanks for any help

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. RacingTeatray

RacingTeatray Freezing in Moscow

I'm not sure I understand your question?

4. Pontio

Pontio Member

when u rev it when its idling in neutral watch the revs when they are dropping. this car i looked at dropped smoothly untill the needle reached 1000rpm where it slowed down alot. it was like the needle got stuck for a split second at 1000rpm on its way down to idle.

5. IanL-S3

IanL-S3 Member

Doesn't sound like a problem to me.
    My 1.4 Clio would do that!! :)
    Also if the 1.8TQ has aircon that raises the idle speed bit.
    Good car enjoy it!
    If you aren't 100% sure go for an rac check.

6. Pontio

Pontio Member

ok, thanks for the quick reply. if any1 has anythig else to add it'll be great. may go for it tomorrow :)

7. The quattro is a heavier car, but has better traction. The FWD is lighter but more prone to wheelspin.

8. RacingTeatray

RacingTeatray Freezing in Moscow

I checked on the way home after work. Mine drops smoothly to 800rpm whether cold or warm.

Given it was tuned up by Audi about 1500 miles ago I think that's probably what it should do.

As for the A/C point check whether it still does it with the ECON button on the Climate Control turned off. That switches off the compressor. You should run with that button on unless you need cold air as the compressor murders the fuel economy.