1.8TFSI and 2.0TFSI S3 : Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

Hello

I've had this problem since buying my Audi S3 Saloon S-Tronic this year. It's a brand new car with about 2000 miles.

The rasping / rattling turbo waste gate has been acknowledged by 2 Audi centres and I've also had 2 Audi technicians sit in the car with me and comment on the noise. I've complained no end to Audi, and basically they don't give a s**t that this is annoying customers. This is part of a message they sent to me after about 3 letters of compliant:

"Having discussed the technical bulletin with our Technical Support Team, I can confirm that the waste-gate flap and rods on the
turbo charger start to vibrate due to exhaust gas pulsations. These vibrations cause the noises. The function of the boost
pressure control is not affected. The vibration related noise is normal and operational. It is within the tolerance and not
detrimental to the vehicle’s performance. Our Technical Support Team has confirmed that currently there is no plan for any
production change regarding this.
I can confirm that neither of the Audi Centres has found any fault or manufacturing defect on your vehicle. They have concluded
that your vehicle is working as normal. Hence, no further investigation is required on this matter."

An absolutely appalling response from Audi customer service to another dissatisfied Audi customer. This rattling problem exists and is causing distress and displeasure to those who have the issue, therefore Audi should spend a penny and design a simple fix for it!

Not happy. Will be progressing my claim further.

Response is very similar worded to the reply I got from Audi UK. Good look with progressing this further - let us know if you have any luck, in the meantime check out the thread mentioned below (if you haven't already)

Report The Rattle ...... just search the forum for "RTR"

Another pointless response from Audi:

"I am sorry to learn of your adverse comments regarding a noise on your Audi S3 and that this has caused annoyance to you.
Considerable market research is completed during the design of any vehicle and it is always helpful to receive feedback, as
customer acceptance is crucial to the success of our products.

Whilst I appreciate your wish that the vibration related operational noise on your Audi S3 should be controlled, I can confirm
that our manufacturer has no plans to implement any amendment for the design of the waste gate flap and the turbocharger.

It is always sad to learn when a customer is not completely satisfied with their car, but I do hope the many other positive
aspects of this fantastic model will allow you to continue enjoying your vehicle to its full potential."

Reactions: David83S3
Hi all

Started experiencing this issue, did a bit of googling and stumbled upon this thread. My problem sounds exactly as described by many of you and wondering if this could also be my problem.

I have just a 2006 A3 1.9 TDI. Do any of you think this model could be suffering from the same issue? i didnt see it listed as an affected model on the first page..

Hi Dz

Not sure on whether this affects the 2006 Diesel? Sorry pal

:readit:

So I've got a new MY2016 car and there is no rustle at all. My previous is was bad, but nothing on the new one. Will keep reporting when I drive it more. Have Audi secretly addressed this do we think? Any new owners with the rustle still?

****UPDATE (FINAL)****

I was keeping this quiet until the work was done .......Audi replaced my Turbo ........and ...

......it still has the rattle. :scared2:

One thing I noticed ........in the weeks running up to getting it replaced I didn't talk about it on here and didn't really think about it..... and I have to say that I feel I have enjoyed my car soooooooo much more over this period! I have been going out for drives and wasting a tank of fuel just for fun :rockwoot: ......This car is just incredible!! (Rattle or no rattle)

I think I have done a u-turn on this now and will be enjoying this absolutely amazing machine rather than ruin the experience over a minor fault.

I would suggest that others do the same as Audi clearly ain't budging on the subject (I have made as much noise as I can on the subject) .....So its really up to you whether you want to continue the fight or sit back and ENJOY THE DRIVE in your amazing new Car!!!!!!!!!!!

:blackrs4::nogarors4::redrs4::yellowrs4::greyrs4:

Thanks to all for your efforts on this ....it has been fun :friends: ....:yes:

Reactions: Si_S3
Cheers buddy, thanks for all of your efforts over the past months - you are so right, enjoy the car and forget the noise!!!

Driving today in sixth gear on motorway under acceleration at about 2500 to 3000 rpm sounded like light metallic rattle like tapet noise, when I let off accelerator it stopped. No rattle noise until specific r pm as I had play slowing and speeding up and just seemed to occur at this specifi rpm under medium throttle. When off motorway in other gears didn't seem to do this. When just revving car at stationary nothing either. Is this the same kind of thing listed in this thread ? Mine sort of sounds like loose like heat shield or something but that would not be at such specific point.

Well 600 miles into ownership of brand new s3 mine seems definitely to have started as could hear driving this morning 2000 to 3000 r p m on light to medium throttle. You can sort of provoke the noise by letting off re applying throttle. Odd it's just started when fine initially going to keep ear out for this and see what happens, it's only faint rattle but Def there, worse with window closed as you can't hear above wind noise when open.

My first turbo had the noise .....The TTs I borrowed had the noise ....and my new turbo has the noise. I would 100% recommend that you focus on the other amazing aspects of the car (and there are many many many of these) and just turn on the radio .......or stay away from slow acceleration between 2000-3000rpm .....so you're either stationary or going 100mph ...foot to the floor :whistle2:

Honestly though ....it is a lot to do with your mind listening out for it ....I don't even hear it any more because I am not driving with the radio turned off and sitting at the exact revs that causes the noise to be more apparent. Just drive normally in normal conditions (ie music on) and you wont even hear it :friends:

Reactions: Grover
Thanks will try but I am perfection freak so I know I will listen out for it all the time even when trying not too just to make sure it's no worse.

Thanks will try but I am perfection freak so I know I will listen out for it all the time even when trying not too just to make sure it's no worse.

I was the same and as you can see from this and other threads I took it pretty far with Audi only to get to this point ....which is just accept it and enjoy the other 99% of the car (Which is incredible.....In my opinion)

Reactions: Grover
I think mine has it which you can hear it if you listen out for it, but I've gotten used to it that my selective hearing doesn't hear it anymore lol

So I have a 2016 S3 with 900 miles, and I'm starting to hear this as well....I think. I can't hear it with the windows up, but when they are down and I am driving through a neighborhood at low speeds I hear a "rattle". It's much easier to hear with the windows down, and especially when I pass a parked car and the sound echos off of it. Around 2000 RPM, it does sound like a ball bearing rolling in a glass jar?!? Is this "rattle" what I'm hearing?

So I have a 2016 S3 with 900 miles, and I'm starting to hear this as well....I think. I can't hear it with the windows up, but when they are down and I am driving through a neighborhood at low speeds I hear a "rattle". It's much easier to hear with the windows down, and especially when I pass a parked car and the sound echos off of it. Around 2000 RPM, it does sound like a ball bearing rolling in a glass jar?!? Is this "rattle" what I'm hearing?

Yep thats it.....

I just heard another S3 drive by me today with the same sound. Sad that Audi has yet to release a fix for this issue on a premium car.

I too have this problem and how far have you got to sorting it out?

QUOTE="Pilotsniper, post: 2488870, member: 104586"]Hello

I've had this problem since buying my Audi S3 Saloon S-Tronic this year. It's a brand new car with about 2000 miles.

The rasping / rattling turbo waste gate has been acknowledged by 2 Audi centres and I've also had 2 Audi technicians sit in the car with me and comment on the noise. I've complained no end to Audi, and basically they don't give a s**t that this is annoying customers. This is part of a message they sent to me after about 3 letters of compliant:

"Having discussed the technical bulletin with our Technical Support Team, I can confirm that the waste-gate flap and rods on the
turbo charger start to vibrate due to exhaust gas pulsations. These vibrations cause the noises. The function of the boost
pressure control is not affected. The vibration related noise is normal and operational. It is within the tolerance and not
detrimental to the vehicle’s performance. Our Technical Support Team has confirmed that currently there is no plan for any
I can confirm that neither of the Audi Centres has found any fault or manufacturing defect on your vehicle. They have concluded
that your vehicle is working as normal. Hence, no further investigation is required on this matter."

An absolutely appalling response from Audi customer service to another dissatisfied Audi customer. This rattling problem exists and is causing distress and displeasure to those who have the issue, therefore Audi should spend a penny and design a simple fix for it!

Not happy. Will be progressing my claim further.[/QUOTE]

I too have this problem and how far have you got to sorting it out?

QUOTE="Pilotsniper, post: 2488870, member: 104586"]Hello

Not happy. Will be progressing my claim further.
[/QUOTE]

Pretty damn poor on such a new car.

Got about 1400 miles on mine and touch wood no rattles yet. If I do, will be raising hell........................ although judging by the responses so far in this thread don't hold much hope of a resolution.

Sounds like Audi have washed their hands of it :(

....welcome to the forum BTW ;)

Reactions: Leanne Allen
I can confirm that changing the downpipe to an aftermarket one removes the sound. However it doesn't solve audi's excuses.

Reactions: ammo-mcr and Leanne Allen
Thanks, mine started at about 5000 it's been back to Audi three times, the mechanic said exactly what this original post said, he said there is no way of fixing it that's why they are covering themselves with the technical service bulletin claiming it to be a characteristic, which clearly it is not cause it wasn't there in the first place. It's a shame cause nice car but whose going to buy it from you with that noise. Audi said it doesn't effect it's performance or will damage its components but I wont be keeping it past warranty just in case. I've not heard back from Audi today with there normal customer service stuff about being a satisfied customer, lol I wonder why?.....

Pretty damn poor on such a new car.

Got about 1400 miles on mine and touch wood no rattles yet. If I do, will be raising hell........................ although judging by the responses so far in this thread don't hold much hope of a resolution.

Sounds like Audi have washed their hands of it :(

....welcome to the forum BTW ;)[/QUOTE]
Tha

Reactions: Simon L
Hi,

Thanks That's interesting is it a costly job? Maybe worth saying to Audi as a compromise?

QUOTE="Ric 2001, post: 2590539, member: 98352"]I can confirm that changing the downpipe to an aftermarket one removes the sound. However it doesn't solve audi's excuses.[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="Ric 2001, post: 2590539, member: 98352"]I can confirm that changing the downpipe to an aftermarket one removes the sound. However it doesn't solve audi's excuses.[/QUOTE]

It's not an ideal fix due to voiding warrenties. The fix really should be Audi approved rather than aftermarket. But yes expensive over £700 easy.

Brand new S3 S-tronic, less than a month old. First noticed the rattle at about 300 miles, about 48 hours old. If driving steady in D or E, the revs are constantly in the range of the rattle and it sounds awful. Good to know a downpipe will fix it though, and if I get the downpipe, might as well get a stage 2 tune too lol

I can confirm that I also have the rustle sound on MY16 s3 2k miles. Noticed it last month but never thought anything of it. Only happens upon acceleration. Going by the comments on here Audi won't sort it so I don't think I'll bother with the hassle as I have been waiting nearly 9 weeks for them to change the suspension mounts:whistle2:

65 reg s3 and guess what, I have the tinny metallic rustle at low rpm, will be reporting to audi UK asap

If a resolution is not offered I'll be dropping my vehicle at Sheffield Audi and refusing to pay until the problem is resolved

Get reporting guys, let's make them sick of us and sort this problem

Hi guys,

i am also having a rattling sound on low rpms and especially over small bumps on my 2015 S3...i am not sure if it's the same rattle you are all talking about. This is a clip taking with my cellphone outside the drivers window. Is that it?

Hi guys,

i am also having a rattling sound on low rpms and especially over small bumps on my 2015 S3...i am not sure if it's the same rattle you are all talking about. This is a clip taking with my cellphone outside the drivers window. Is that it?

I doubt it's the same, sounds like a rattle not a consistent rustle like we are all experiencing.

65 reg s3 and guess what, I have the tinny metallic rustle at low rpm, will be reporting to audi UK asap

If a resolution is not offered I'll be dropping my vehicle at Sheffield Audi and refusing to pay until the problem is resolved
And they'll quite rightly refuse to give you your car back. Which of you do you think will be inconvenienced more? This has been going on for three years, there isn't a resolution they can offer you.

Reactions: Pulp84
Anyone with any further experience of sorting this issue? Is aftermarket Downpipe replacement the solution?

Best fix ........Turn the music up and enjoy your car :redrs4:

Honestly .....I went OCD :wtf:OTT :readit: with this issue and even had Audi swap my Turbo out!! Its still there .....and do you know what .....since I have stopped obsessing over it :scared2: ....I don't even notice it :whistle2:

I still think its crap that Audi ignore this as its clearly a design fault ......however 1 bad point against hundreds of good (Great) points about the car ......... :yes: .....you know what to do .......

Reactions: ammo-mcr, pburv, Si_S3 and 1 other person
Fair enough, good advice David :) However, I'm probably going to bite the bullet soon and install a CTS DP and a light tune so hopefully no more rattle and better performance (win-win!).

Would love to hear the results you get from that ;-)

Hope it sorts it !

I have this on my A5 2.0 tfsi 230ps (2016 and only 800 miles to date)
More noticeable on a cold engine when I reverse up my drive with the window down. As it's slightly up hill it does apply a little bit of extra load.
I can also induce it if I try and do the same but leave the parking brake applied.

Popped the bonnet today and got my 15 year old son to listen and he pointed straight at the actuator rod. He said as soon as he saw the actuator move it started to rattle.

I was suprised that these actuators appear to be motorised rather than the traditional vacum/boost diaphragm type.
When cold (to avoid burning fingers) you can actually pull it in/out to open and close the waste gate.

Although obviously access on the A5 longitudinal engine is a lot easier.
I'm wondering if a bit more actuator rod pre-load may help on the adjuster as that's the old school way to nip up a bit more boost.

Reactions: pburv
I have this on my A5 2.0 tfsi 230ps (2016 and only 800 miles to date)
More noticeable on a cold engine when I reverse up my drive with the window down. As it's slightly up hill it does apply a little bit of extra load.
I can also induce it if I try and do the same but leave the parking brake applied.

Popped the bonnet today and got my 15 year old son to listen and he pointed straight at the actuator rod. He said as soon as he saw the actuator move it started to rattle.

I was suprised that these actuators appear to be motorised rather than the traditional vacum/boost diaphragm type.
When cold (to avoid burning fingers) you can actually pull it in/out to open and close the waste gate.

Although obviously access on the A5 longitudinal engine is a lot easier.
I'm wondering if a bit more actuator rod pre-load may help on the adjuster as that's the old school way to nip up a bit more boost.
I had the same issue on my 8p A3 a couple of years back..One of the fix's they attempted was to fit a metal clip on the actuator rod.Apparently it,s a common fault on all the VAG turbo'd cars?...After this so called fix the techie. took it for a test drive and noticed it hadn't cured the problem.They replaced the turbo under warranty.Upon inspection of the removed turbo the mechanic told me that the waste gate hinge was worn..:shrug:

You must be referring to the 1.4 122ps non cod engine, cars with the 1.4 cod 140 or 150ps engine don't suffer from this. Later versions of the 122ps were fixed at the assembly line...