1.8t vacuum leak test or smoke machine

Andy avant b5

Reaction score
Hi there need to do a boost leak test what am I better to use a vacuum or a smoke machine cheers

Not sure what you mean by vacuum but smoke is good as you can see it, on the cheap my friends spray soapy water and look for bubbles but I'm not a fan of that method as it's still a bit of a guessing game.

I mean hook it up to a air tank and pressure the system too hear for air leaking

Ah gocha nah smokes much easier as you can see it, most garages I know use smoke.

Let me know how that goes, I'm looking to do this too. Cheers.

I had a smoke test done on my old Skoda vrs. It was brilliant! Took about an hour to do and it’s really thorough, no leak can hide from that test.

Looked online and you can get a smoke machine for about 30 pounds I then assume you just hook it up to the intake??

It was a long time ago that mine was done but I think that’s how he did it but you need to try and block the intake off while still feeding in the smoke otherwise it will just come back out of the intake as you pressurise it.

It’s alright mate thanks. I got a recon steering rack to fit when I get 5 mins, new exhaust is needed which I’ll get nearer the time I fit rack. Suspension is still nice and smooth.
What about yours?

Yes mate good thanks still not done the coilovers yet hopefully weather getting better will start on it do you watch Adam c channel on you tube

It's a channel of modified and super cars leaving car show some real tasty motors lots of Audi's it's from my area so I got to a lot of the shows too

Yeah I watched some of them, yeah there are some nice motors there.

There is mate I am in some of them giving the avant a bit of a pull on the exit lol

Sweet i’ll keep an eye out for it, is it the one you currently have?

So how did you do the smoke test? Is it simple to do? I might get one myself, can you send a link for the one you bought?

Haven't brought one yet just looking on eBay at a second hand one someone also said just blow a vape down there but that sounds a bit Micky mouse

Yeah that wont work lol i think the smoke is almost pressurised through the system.

Now your testing my memory lol, I know at one point the guy had my car running, I’m going to say no as if it was running the smoke would pass through engine and burnt off. As your looking for a vacuum leak you won’t see smoke come out as it’s being sucked in instead. The machine he used I’m sure forced smoke into the intake so you could see it blow out any holes.

For a smoke test... I bought a fuel transfer pump. And put a cigar in the end.. connect it up to the intake and start pumping

Attachments

• F462FB33-7E73-4F52-B4E0-526C275647F6.jpeg
    F462FB33-7E73-4F52-B4E0-526C275647F6.jpeg
    25.3 KB · Views: 330
Do you put it tee'd into the fpr vacuum line or similar?

Remove maf and find something to blank it off and out tube in through it.. like a tennis ball with the tube hot glued to it.. then ran a cigar in the intake of the wee pump, light it and pump away..

Right into the intake hose. I’ve seen people do it with just a glove taped over the rubber intake pipe and the tub fed through the middle.