1.8t thrust washers

Jama665

Reaction score
Hi, All thinking of doing the sump and oil pick up. I also think there maybe some float in the crank. So thinking of doing the thrust washers at the same time.

The guy at the parts shop said i needed to remove the crank from the engine to do this, but I've never heard of this before but ive never worked on one of these engines so maybe hes right.

So I thought I'd ask here and see If this blokes talking nonsense. Or can I just change them with the sump off and removing the main cap that holds them?

Cheers

Ok. I'll be the first to ask, but what makes you think there is 'float in the crank'?

I too have never removed a 1.8t crank, but I hardly think it's the work of a moment, even if you're doing the oil pick up.

IMHO, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it..... :)

I changed the clutch and Worked that out. Plus a few other things that makes me think they could do with being changed. Oh and I do now a wee bit about mechanics to say the least so Its not a guess or a mate told me.

So My question is- To change the thrust washers does the crank have to be removed or not?

An for £12 a bit a preventative maintenance is not really something to be questioned really, All I want to know is it straight forward just removing one main bearing cap or is it a ball breaker like the parts bloke seems to think( if this is the case then i'll leave it for now).

I wasn't knocking your mechanical prowess at all, just wondering why you think they need replacement?

Doing a bit of a Google search, there are a few mentions on other fora saying you can change the thrust washers and bearings from underneath the car with the sump removed on the 1.8t, so you might be in luck.

If I get time, I'll fire up my laptop tomorrow and have a look on Elsawin to see what it says regarding the procedure...

Sorry I should have explained that I had found some movement. I thought that the parts bloke was a little off with his remark. I was just trying to find out if it gonna be a major **** ache or simple like I'm guessing it would be before Im elbow deep in crap.

As a heads up is always a good thing, But even if i am being a little over the top for £12 its worth it if its straight forward.

The engines got 140k on the clock to. Better to be safe than sorry

Didn't mean to be so direct I'd propbably ask the same think as you never know how poaple come to there conclusions.

But any help would be fantastic cheers

No one got any idea on this. Well may just buy them and take the chance that its an easy job.