1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8t throttle body cleaning

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Jp-tqs, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Has anybody cleaned the throttle body on their 1.8t bex engine? Did it on my wifes 1.8t golf with good results. Just wondering if there's any pitfalls before i attempt this!
    [​IMG]
    This is what the golf looked like

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Pabs

Pabs Active Member

There is a guide on audizine on how to do this, it's on my list to do when it's a bit warmer and dryer

4. Pabs

Pabs Active Member

5. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Cheers pabs, might have a go at it tommorow. When i did the golf i didnt disconnenct the plug to avoid having to do alignment afterwards. If i do it ill take some pics and let you know the results!
    Cold starting on my car is'nt great so as cleaning TB is free, think it would be a good place to start.

6. Pabs

Pabs Active Member

No probs mate, Have you changed your plugs recently, when mine was playing last year up I put a new set of plugs in and it was perfect, no more probs firing up especially in the cold

7. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Plugs is another thing on the never ending list of things to do! On the subject, what plugs are advised?

8. Pabs

Pabs Active Member

I'm running NGK copper plugs at the mo, I was thinking of getting iridium but not sure they are worth the extra cost

9. Slinepete

Slinepete Member

Think I put NGK platinums in mine always ran the Scoob on iridiums but as said there expensive

10. Jp-tqs

Jp-tqs Member

Ok, so cleaned the throttle body this morning. Wasnt as gunked up as i was expecting but enough deposits to upset the airflow when cold i suspect. Started lovely afterwards but it was a warm morning here (8 deg) so still dont know if my cold start probs are better! Anyway heres a pic when first dismantled....
    [​IMG]

11. Pabs

Pabs Active Member

looks pretty clean i hope mine is the same when i get a chance to do it, i would take your coil packs off and check your spark plugs

12. Dubbers1

Dubbers1 Top Gear
    VCDS Map User

I replaced my throttle body on my BEX just last week as it was knackered

If you're having cold start/idling trouble I highly recommend replacing the crankcase breather valve, its only £9~ from the dealers and is a 5 min job, they pretty much ALL collapse at some point and mine was causing the car to idle between 1000-1200rpm

See here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-...104028-crankcase-breather-valve-location.html