1.8t sport wont rev

chukkieegg

Reaction score
now that i have owned my 1.8t sport for about a month i have found a problem with it

I dont drive it much wife drives it more to ferry kids round but she has been saying that when you start it up from cold in a morning it struggles to run and is very lumpy anyway i jumped in it this morning to use to come to work in and it would not rev at all i had my foot to the floor on the acclerator and was very lumpy and on the verge of dying battery light was coming on and then after about 2 mins it suddenly kicked into life and revs went sky high as foof to the floor and it then drove fine having checked with my wife it will then start and drive fine for the rest of the day its just first start in a morning its an aum engine code any ideas?

cheers

Lee

Check for error codes. a local garage should be able to do it or get hold of a Vag-Com (VCDS).

DC

yes rang psi tuning last night as i had to sit on carpark at work untill it would run

they reckoned it the coolant temp sensor? i think that what he said going to have a diagnostic on Wednesday as thats the earliest they can book it in

cheers
Lee

right went into PSI last night really nice showroom/waiting area
anyway ran diagnostic guy came back in and at first said there was no error faults then said well there is 1 fault code system rich poss maf or coolant temp sensor as there is a 3 month warranty on the a3 he reckoned as the part has not failed and is intermittent warranty company would not pay for it and wait untill it packs up all together. I asked which one to replace for advice and he could not guide me either way just run it but when it does play up it is undrivable so i would be unable to get it to a garage to get it fixed of it did fail.
Anyone had similar and what would you replace?
to be honest i would not go to Psi again i got the feeling they didn't really want to do the job but i am sure this issue is going to get worse as the part breaks down more

regards

Lee

A temp sensor isn't much and takes about 5 mins to change so I'd do that and unplug the MAF, see how it runs then.

Can't see the temp sensor making it un-drivable.... yes it might run a bit rough when warm and use more fuel but un-drivable ??? sounds more like the MAF sensor but as said coolant sensor is cheap and easy to do just foe piece of mind

yes was thinking might be worth getting a coolant temp sensor and fitting it

is there only 1 to go for?

warranty is an rac silver one and i am able to go to any vat registered garage but reading the small print dont sound to brill

just not to impressed with PSI thats all

surely the temp sensor would just give a dodgey reading on the dash and nothing else?

i bet its ur maf aswell.

as the part has not failed and is intermittent warranty company would not pay for it and wait untill it packs up all together

WTF logic is that?!

It's not designed to work intermittantly - therefore it's BROKEN!

The things they'll say to get out of a contract ***!

When we bought my wifes car last year the temp guage on dash was dead, no reading at all, car ran perfect. Bought a new temp sensor from audi i think about £35, took me 5 mins to remove old and fit new.

DC

For what it's worth I doubt the temp sender has anything to do with it, I only advised changing it as it came up on the log and so was obviously on its way out. It's a cheap and easy fix and you can rule it out for certain.
Have you tried with the MAF unplugged?

no not had maf unplugged stupid question where is the maf located?

still getting head around things on this engine

cheers

Lee

well jumped in car this morning and it was revinng at 150 revs killed ignition and switched back on and then ran fine so i have disconnected the maf when i got to work where can i get a new maf from

cheers

Lee]