1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8T quattro clutch

Mazi Oct 27, 2013

1. Mazi

Mazi Member

Just ordered a LUK clutch for my 1.8T quattro as the bite is quite high but its not slipping at all.
    Am I likely to get away with the original flywhhel as it seems to be at an eary stage rather than worn out and slipping?
    Also any other jobs I should tackle whilst doing the clutch other than gearbox oil??

2. Giosabcsl

Giosabcsl Active Member Audi A4 saloon

Considering you have bought a 1.8t I wont comment on the pros and cons on the different models.

As for maps you can go for a generic map from say "APR, Superchips/Bluefin, Shark Performance, Revo"
    Those are all pretty much the same and will offer roughly. The gains will depend on which 1.8T 20v motor you have.
    Thou will roughly be above the 200hp mark and 240-250lbft. Depends on the turner.

You can go for a map that is designed for your driving style and your car. At a more expensive cost.

You can change the air filter to an aftermarket if you wish like a BMC or k and N but its down to preference if you not pushing massive power the stock air box is good for aroud 300 if i recall.

As for the clutch you can keep the Dual mass fly wheel or you can go to a single mass its hard to say until you get the box off thou there is the usuall symptoms of extra noises vibrations etc.

Just becareful with the gearbox oil especially if you buying a None Audi Oil, the boxes are very oil specific, as they not only control the gearbox but the front differential for the quattro system.

The main thing with the 1.8t engines is they suffer from what is called sludge which is generally when the car has had a rough life or not serviced with correct oil etc. There is a few things that cause this sludge issue. Quite easy to see if you have this issue is if u take the engine cap filler off you can see if its bad or not or on the dip stick. If you google it you can see what im refering to.

Otherwise there is a engine oil pick up that gets badly blocked with junk and can cause the engine to starve it self of oil and go boom basically.

Lastly if you after advice its best to give fellow forum members abit more info on the vehicle besides it being a 1.8t 20v.
    Ie mileage, possibly engine code and any other information.

3. Mazi

Mazi Member

Gearbox oil will be ordered from TPS which supply OE VAG stuff only. If someone has the details of the right stuff it would be appreciated to be double sure. Engine number is BFB 118708 if that helps. Not sure if the first part is the engine code.
    Its a 2006 A4 1.8T S-Line avant with 90ish on the clock with Full Audi History.
    Is their a transfer bor or rear/centre diff that would need the oil changed being a quattro model?

4. Giosabcsl

I can give you the correct codes when I am near my parts list for the gearbox.

The engine code would be "BFB"

Has your cambelt and waterpump been done?

And I assume with that engine code you running 163 hp stock. They made a 190hp model which generally has a 1.8T badge on the rear with the letter T being in Red.

There is no centre diff thou there is a rear diff that can be drained and refilled takes about 1.7-2 litres. Pretty straight forward process can use a allen key to remove it. The drain hole is under the diff at the rear and the filler hole is just above the rear right drive shaft. Sometimes its easier to remove support cup that sits under the drive shaft. You will see what I mean if you do it yourself. And will confirm the oil for you.

Gearbox/front diff on the other hand takes 3.6-3.7 litres.

5. Giosabcsl

The last part numbers I have which I used are the following:

Rear diff oil - G052 145 S2 - Tps price 19.88 inc (will need 2 bottles)

Gearbox Oil - G055 532 A2 - Dont have a price for it. (will need 4 bottles)

Thou if you want you dont have to go with the Audi brand when it comes to the Gearbox oil. There is a lot of variations that you can use. Just depends on the price of the gearbox oil then you can shop around. Motul Gear 300 SAE75w90 oil is generally the preferred choice. Can always point you in the right direction if you choose to look down that route.

6. Mazi

Mazi Member

Yes 163 hp model. I thought the 190 hp engine only came in the B6 Chassis?

7. Giosabcsl

Correct, the 190hp only came in the B6.