1.8t quattro backlash

KevM3

Reaction score
Just drove one and on motorway speeds there is a harsh vibration ,kicking through the gearlever felt like knackered gearbox/diff mounts and also the tyres are on the limit and the back end slid out on a roundabout i thought quattros gripped better , it was raining though ,didnt buy the car for these reasons any idea on the vibration

Last edited:
Maybe the DMF?

Tyres on the limit and it was raining? I think you've answered your own question there!

yeah the thing was i wasnt even trying either , so whats the DMF then

you wasnt trying
what do u expect with tyres on the limit ?
DMF is the clutch flywheel

i didnt know the tyres were f****d til after the drive

Tyres can play a big part of things of a vast majority of vags..... I took mine on test and it sounded like the wheel bearings were non exist ant but have having new tyres it cured the noise completely.... Think Bowen recently had vibration up the gear lever and DMf cured is problem also...

the guy said it had a new clutch and flywheel recently , so this vibration thing is putting me off , i went from cardiff to rochdale on a train with cash but came back on the train empty handed, good job i booked a return !when i first saw it from the train station i loved the car and thought thats mine !it has sat nav ,xenons the lot , till i drove it was in 2 minds then , a 4k car turns into a 5k one very easily , plus ive spent lots on my M3 so just want a sorted out A4 from the start ,still thinking now about the A4 that wasnt to be, shall i of sha'nt i ?

well i bought this car a few weeks ago, had a good check over it , havnt done the tyres yet but the massive oversteer turns out to be a sheared front anti roll bar bolt ! so in effect it had no working front arb which would give all that oversteer, i drilled it out and fitted a new one and is much better now , the vibration is nothing more than a rear wheel balance , also fitted a set of tein springs and ordered an rs4 rarb !