1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8t misfire (apu)

stoop44rio Jun 6, 2010

1. stoop44rio

stoop44rio Member

hi, first post-very annoying misfire!! ive read a few other posts with similar problems but still id like to try and get a definite answer. car was checked on vag-com last week and showed an intermitant misfire on cylinder 3. theres no cel on. would this be the coilpack,maf or anything else? how can i diagnose which from which without buying all these parts?:( thanks for replies

2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Try swapping the coil pack from 3 into another cylinder and see if the problem moves?

Have you replaced the spark plugs?

3. stoop44rio

stoop44rio Member

plugs were replaced about 6k ago with gsf ones (cant remember the make). i thought of that, swapping the coilpacks but the guy will charge every time he vag-coms it! might pull the plug and check the condition

4. NATE6874

NATE6874 Member

I had a misfire on coil 2 a few weeks ago. had packs checked all fine, also had plugs checked all fine. made a few calls around and posted a question up on here, same answers came back, check the ignition amplifier... apparently they are rife at being faulty on the 1.8t. you can get a new one from Euro Car Parts or GSF, i got one from ECP for £67 with free p&p, delivered next day, car runs sweet now.

5. stoop44rio

stoop44rio Member

ive read that somewhere this morning. misfire on cylinder 2 points to the ignition amp but as said mines on cylinder 3 so i don't want to take a chance and spend £67. is there any way of testing it?