1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8t misfire (apu)

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by stoop44rio, Jun 6, 2010.

1. stoop44rio

stoop44rio Member

[Jun 6, 2010]
    hi, first post-very annoying misfire!! ive read a few other posts with similar problems but still id like to try and get a definite answer. car was checked on vag-com last week and showed an intermitant misfire on cylinder 3. theres no cel on. would this be the coilpack,maf or anything else? how can i diagnose which from which without buying all these parts?:( thanks for replies
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 29, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 6, 2010]
    Try swapping the coil pack from 3 into another cylinder and see if the problem moves?

Have you replaced the spark plugs?
  4. stoop44rio

stoop44rio Member

[Jun 6, 2010]
    plugs were replaced about 6k ago with gsf ones (cant remember the make). i thought of that, swapping the coilpacks but the guy will charge every time he vag-coms it! might pull the plug and check the condition
  5. NATE6874

NATE6874 Member

[Jun 6, 2010]
    I had a misfire on coil 2 a few weeks ago. had packs checked all fine, also had plugs checked all fine. made a few calls around and posted a question up on here, same answers came back, check the ignition amplifier... apparently they are rife at being faulty on the 1.8t. you can get a new one from Euro Car Parts or GSF, i got one from ECP for £67 with free p&p, delivered next day, car runs sweet now.
  6. stoop44rio

stoop44rio Member

[Jun 6, 2010]
    ive read that somewhere this morning. misfire on cylinder 2 points to the ignition amp but as said mines on cylinder 3 so i don't want to take a chance and spend £67. is there any way of testing it?