1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8T massive coolant leak

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by timseeber, Mar 13, 2011.

1. timseeber

timseeber New Member

[Mar 13, 2011]
    Hi I am New but looking for some help/advice/comfort.
    Our2008 A3 has done just on 33,000KLms. Yesterday the coolant light came on, the temp did not move off 90degress. Drove on for 5 mins, arrived home. Ground was covered in coolant and the reservoir was completely drained, could not see any hose damage, and certainly no chance of a stone or something puncturing radiator.
    Rang Audi assist (we are in Australia), they came said can’t see anything to cause this, we better tow it to the dealership.
    There does not seem to be a head failure as there is only a small amount of oil around the head – normal.
    Car starts and sounds fine ( turned it back on for a few seconds).
    My issue is that I am outside of warranty (12 months) but car has done no Klms.
    What could my problem be?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Geraldy212

Geraldy212 Sportback owner

[Mar 13, 2011]
    Timseeber, it sounds like the coolant leaks out only when it is under pressure. Thank goodness its not leaking into the engine. The only way to diagnose this is to refill the coolant tank, and then run the engine until it reaches its normal operating temperature. Then while on a hoist, look at all of the water system joints and radiator. That should find the leak. Hopefully, it will only be a hose connection. Good luck.
  4. timseeber

timseeber New Member

[Mar 13, 2011]
    thanks for that, it could just be bad luck but we have had this car since new and i am surprised by such a large coolant failaure. with no warning, its not as if the reservoir has needed topping up at anytime, so if it was a cracked hose or something that finally let go i am sure we would have seen some earlier symtoms?
  5. Smoothie

Smoothie Active Member

[Mar 13, 2011]
    never good to hear anyone having problems, it is most likely something minor like a hose come off or something! If you want to find the problem yourself, fill the car with coolant again, switch on and try replicate the situation with engine @90 etc and then have a look under the car to see where it leaking from mate