1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8T Ins and Outs

MikeS3-265bhp Feb 8, 2010

1. MikeS3-265bhp

MikeS3-265bhp New Member

Firstly hello everyone! I'm Mike and new to the forum!

Right, I am looking for a 1.8T A3 but I want to know the in's and out's of what I should be looking for excatly. Such as is it ok to by one with 100k miles? What problems occur with an A3? The general in's and out's!
    Also how much I should be paying for one in good nick? Any general information will be helpful.

Thanks in advance look forward to your replys

Mike

2. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

welcome to the forum mike. 1st i will say im no expert on A3`s as i have only had mine a few months, but have owned 1.8t`s on other models prior. 100.000mile with a good history is no problem, these engines are strong but you must be spot on with servicing!! if it has no history i would not touch it. On the b5 a4 chassis the front suspention arms are common to clonk and knock and are a pig replace if the pinch bolt is stuck on (which they normally are) i dont know if the A3`s have this issue also. Check the Turbo boosts propperly, dont expect to be pushed back in your seat like a Scooby or evo, but a turbo`ed presance will be there. If there is a rattle from the back of the engine when the revs drop after reving it its more than likley the turbo shaft rattling in which case could be expensive and a inconvinience! (spelling) check for smoke from the zorst on tick over, leave it running for 10 mins to let it warm up, normal things you look for in a new car and common sense etc. I have also read somwhere that some A3`s suffer from rust on the roof.

im sure someone will correct me if i have said anything wrong, but the main key key to any Audi, is good service intervals, oil changing and just not treating them like a mk3 xr3i! Look after it and it will look after you! simples!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  3. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

:sign_welcome:

4. MikeS3-265bhp

MikeS3-265bhp New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply Alpline! Gives me more of a heads up!

thanks for the welcoming aswell guys.