1.8T Crankshaft Table

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
OK, so I had an idea....

I saw on ebay the other day, a table made from a crankshaft.... and it looked COOL!.

I have the crank from my first S3 engine sat at home gathering dust, so I thought sod it. I'm going to make me a table to remember the S3 by when I sell up.

This is the end result I hope to achieve:

1039-11285258431-krukastafel.JPG

I will update this with progress as I work on it.

OOOhhh looking forward to how you get on with this. I really like the idea! The pic you showed looks ace!

The pic shows a V8 crank, the 1.8 crank may be a tad "weedy" in comparison. Get the pics up once you have done it, its a great idea.

I wanted to make a table out of a Sherman tank turret but the missus wouldn't let me.
She reckoned eight tons might crack the laminate flooring but I think she was just making excuses:unsure:

Think she had a small point!!! Getting it in through the door would have been fun to see too!

I regularly have problems getting my gun turret through the door, but I think that's more of a problem for the agony aunt corner.

OK. Work has commenced....

Started with the crank. Cleaned it right up to get all the oil and ming off.

1.jpg

Well, it's a crank. What's more to say?

Been struggling to decide what to use as a base for the crank, as I don't want it to be too low to be of any use.

Whilst arseing about in the garage yesterday, I found one of my axle stands.

The will actually be ideal. I had to grind a small counterbore into the top to allow the crank to sit flat on it, however once done it is a pukka fit.

I have now clearcoated, and then primered the crank ready for paining as well.

2.jpg

Obviously the stand requires rubbing back and painting also, but that shouldn't pose an issue.

I have just been to the shop and bought some M15 threaded bar. I plan to use the thread inside the crank and something I will have to make to bolt the crank and the stand together. Would rather not weld it really.

Personally I think you should put the crank the other way up, it looks top heavy that way and reversing it will give you a flat area to mount the glass on.
Looking good though.

Personally I think you should put the crank the other way up, it looks top heavy that way and reversing it will give you a flat area to mount the glass on.
Looking good though.

There isn't a flat area the end which is in the stand mate - plus it has the thread there for mounting the stand and the crank together.

Anyway, the end which is at the top on that photo, has the flywheel bolt holes. I am going to make up some spacers to the correct height, get flat headed bolts and counter bore them into the glass, and then use that to mount the table top.

Should be solid as a rock.

Despite how it looks it is actually very stable - there's method in the Magners.

Last edited:
OK people, 'tis done.

I finished it off yesterday as the top arrived.

A few foties....

3.jpg

4.jpg

As before, but painted.

5.jpg

How the crank is secured to the base - piece of M16 thread into the base of the crank, and then down through this securing lug and bolted.

That 'securing lug' is actually the cap off of a Cooling Mist Stage 1 WMI Kit tank.

8.jpg

7.jpg

Finished product with 300mm x 300mm black perspex top.

To secure the top to the base, it has a Butane blowtorch hold stand (I know - a bodge) fibreglassed to the underside of the perspex, and then that has been fibreglassed to the crank. Took about ten mins to set to reasonably solid.

And that is that. Job done. 1 lampstand.

I have some old C20XE camshafts lying about, I might make a lamp out of one to go on it....