1.8t cranking but not starting....solved...

richard hare

Reaction score
so after tackling the head gasket we parked the audi up for the night...went to start next morning and no go...just kept cranking...seems the old girl isnt going to let me off lightly...shes going to make me work for the reward..
after checking the usual suspects..plugs..coil packs..fuel...just as a thought i checked the fuses and no29 had blown..
it kept blowing fuses even when i touched the terminal with a new fuse without the key in the ignition...shorting somewhere...
so by process of elimination (unpluging everything...sensors the lot.. one by one) and putting a new fuse in the box after every process ...about 15 20amp fuses later it turns out to be the wires going to the coil packs....each one had gone brittle and perished the insulation surrounding the copper cables(this was under the rubber boot that slips over the connectors to the coil packs)...
seperated the wires and used insulation tape on each cable(this was all four connectors)...bodge i know...
but still getting the popped fuse...
continued to expose the wires of the coil connectors and found more brittle/burnt cables about 6 inches back on bank one and two...seperated these and taped them up...presto...she fired up first turn of the key...
now i have to figure out what to do with the harnace...but at least i know where to start...
now have an eml light on but i expected that i suppose..