1.8t AUM small problem/ annoyance.

dougiefourspeed

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've recently taken in part-ex an AUM 1.8T Auto on a Y-plate. The car has just rolled over to 90k miles and seems mechanically sound apart from one little thing!

When I start the car cold and put it in drive or reverse it starts to hunt around on idle, and sounding almost as if its running on three pots although I don't reckon it is. Once you drive off its spot on again, boosts correctly and no issues from the autobox.

I've had a search round some of the Audi/VW pages and a lot of it points to coil packs or maybe a clogged up TB being the cause but I was just wondering if any of you guys could nail it down or give me any other advice as to what it might be? Only seems to be a problem when the car is cold, it was quite warm today (13C ish) and I got in it and it fired up smooth as you like.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated as I really like this little car and want to keep it as my daily!

Cheers.

Scan for fault codes in the first instance but sounds like a vacuum leak so inspect the vacuum pipes etc under and around the inlet manifold... PCV pipes are a classic for rotting/splitting

Get a smoke test if you can as this will highlight any leaks

<tuffty/>

Scan for fault codes in the first instance but sounds like a vacuum leak so inspect the vacuum pipes etc under and around the inlet manifold... PCV pipes are a classic for rotting/splitting

Get a smoke test if you can as this will highlight any leaks

<tuffty/>

Thanks for the reply mate. I'll have a look at the pipe work in the morning. I've had it on a diagnostic machine and it doesn't throw up any codes.

Hi guys. Have been away for a couple of weeks and not used the car, but am back now and the issue I had is seeming a little worse.

EML light is now on, but before I get it on a diagnostic machine I thought I'd take a video and post it on here just to see if anyone has any bright ideas of what the issue could be before I spend £30 on getting codes read and all that.

Sorry the video isn't great. But this is taken starting up from stone cold. Car hasn't moved since yesterday morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_0OEs7GJgo

Any help you guys can give me is welcome as I'm a bit skint at the moment!!!

Cheers