1.8T and 1.4TSI A3 launch dates in Ireland

dm_irish

Reaction score
According to todays Irish Independent, the 1.8T will be launched in Jan here and a 1.4TSI with 125BHP will
arrive in the summer..

tibbs said:
125 brake from the tsi, thats f*ckin ridiculous:banghead: , its 170 on the GT!!

Surely he means 125kW = 170ps = 168bhp

no i meant 125Bhp, iits a marketing thing. they aren't going to release a 168bhp 1.4 and the 165bhp 1.8T, the 1.4 will just replace the 1.6 engines at least over here. While the 1.8 with replace the 2.0 as I understand it..

Anyone figured out the point of the 1.4Tfsi engine yet ????

What I mean is that,in the UK,taxation (company car tax or roadtax) goes by CO2 rating rather than engine size.

As far as I can remember,the last time I looked,the 1.4Tfsi engine wasn't spectacularly efficient at all.

Barely any more efficient than the 2.0Fsi,so why bother with the smaller engine ???

in Ireland it makes a big difference to the price of the car, both base price due to VRT and road tax.
I'm not sure of the figures, but the fuel economy was much better than the 2.0fsi too in the review I read..

Irish, why would they keep the 1.6fsi when the 1.4tsi will be more powerful and either cheaper or the same price?

dm_irish said:
in Ireland it makes a big difference to the price of the car, both base price due to VRT and road tax.
I'm not sure of the figures, but the fuel economy was much better than the 2.0fsi too in the review I read..

Irish, why would they keep the 1.6fsi when the 1.4tsi will be more powerful and either cheaper or the same price?

10% difference in VRT between a <1400cc and a >1400cc car.
A useful saving I suppose.
There must be more markets that benefit the smaller engine though,as Irish sales aren't going to make Audi come out with a whole new engine.

bowfer said:
10% difference in VRT between a <1400cc and a >1400cc car.
A useful saving I suppose.
There must be more markets that benefit the smaller engine though,as Irish sales aren't going to make Audi come out with a whole new engine.

you'd be surprised, it's not a whole new engine just a VW engine like all the others put into the audi maybe for only the irish market.
BMW sell the new 3 series with a 1.6 engine in Ireland to have a reasonably entry level price, not aware that the do that in any other market?

Audi are going engine bonkers lately.

Even if the 1.4TSI replaces the 1.6FSI and the 1.8T replaces the 2.0FSI, as dm_irish says, there'll still be 8 engines in the A3:

Petrol: 1.4TSI, 1.8T, 2.0T(200), 2.0T(265), 3.2
Diesel: 1.9TDI, 2.0TDI(140), 2.0TDI(170)

8 engine choices in a single model!

It certainly is a brand new engine and not one just for the Irish market but for the whole of Europe including the UK. It is listed in the latest November 06 UK price list.

For more details see the following article - http://car.kak.net/Article5637.html

Seems like a replacement for the much loved 1.8T. I have a 2.0TDI 140 and I am considering replacing it early next year. I'm not sure at the moment whether to go for another 2.0TDI or the 1.8TFSI. The 2.0TFSI is out as it's only available in Sport trim, whereas I prefer the SE trim as my current car.

h5djr said:
It certainly is a brand new engine and not one just for the Irish market but for the whole of Europe including the UK. It is listed in the latest November 06 UK price list.

For more details see the following article - http://car.kak.net/Article5637.html

Seems like a replacement for the much loved 1.8T. I have a 2.0TDI 140 and I am considering replacing it early next year. I'm not sure at the moment whether to go for another 2.0TDI or the 1.8TFSI. The 2.0TFSI is out as it's only available in Sport trim, whereas I prefer the SE trim as my current car.
There's a lot more about the new 1.8T here :-
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060928.006/country/gcf/audi/new-audi-1.8-tfsi-engine-revealed

In the UK, it seems the 1.4TSI is available in the Golf, and the 1.8T in the A3, but not vice versa.

I have also found the same article from Audi Press Bureau but at a different site: http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Audi_News/article_2574.shtml

It certainly looks interesting. I had 4 A3 1.8T Sports before my current 2.0TDI and loved them. When I bought my current A3 there was only the choice between the 2.0 (non-turbo) FSI and the 2.0TDI. The 2.0 FSI was hopeless but the 2.0 TDI was very close in performance to the old 1.8T and it was also available with the DSG.

Now I'm coming up to change, whilst I like my 2.0TDI it would be nice to go back to somwthing just a little quieter! that can also have the S-tronic as the DSG is now called. Mpg wise it seems the new 1.8TFSI would be somewhere between the old 1.8T and my current 2.0TDI which would be acceptable.

h5djr said:
... Now I'm coming up to change, whilst I like my 2.0TDI it would be nice to go back to somwthing just a little quieter!....
Yes, I noticed a huge improvement in noise level when I went from the 2.0TDI to the 2.0T. You don't realise just how quiet and refined the A3 is, until you drive the 2.0T. I'm sure the new 1.8T will be just as good, if not quieter.

h5djr said:

i think everyone knew this, the debate was on the 1.4TSI in the A3, not the 1.8T..

you'd be surprised, it's not a whole new engine just a VW engine like all the others put into the audi maybe for only the irish market

i think everyone knew this

Obviously not everyone knew.....

I'm still missing the point of the 1.4 Tsi engine...
Anyone care to explain ?
VAG claim it has arisen in response to EC reports that state as many cars as possible should be under a CO2 rating of 140,yet they admit the 1.4 Tsi has a CO2 rating of between 169 and 180.
Which is as bad as many a larger petrol car.

So.....what's the bleeding point ?
Especially when they have to bolt-on the added complication of a supercharger,to match the torque of a bigger engine,before a turbo kicks in !

Talk about complicated for no benefit (that I can see ).

h5djr said:
.....The 2.0TFSI is out as it's only available in Sport trim, whereas I prefer the SE trim as my current car.
Just noticed from the A3 price list and configurator, that you can have the 2.0T in SE form.

h5djr said:
Obviously not everyone knew.....

i think you have misread, the comments about a new engine in the A3 above were all related to the 1.4TSI not the 1.8T engine which was announced earlier in the year and has been on the price lists for a long time. hence I think everyone on here knew about it..

If anyone does see any road tests that include the new 1.8TFSI engine I would be very interested.

h5djr said:
If anyone does see any road tests that include the new 1.8TFSI engine I would be very interested.

am hoping to test drive in jan, but will be very unhappy if it is great, as may then be tempted to change!

dm_irish said:
According to todays Irish Independent, the 1.8T will be launched in Jan here and a 1.4TSI with 125BHP will
arrive in the summer..

dragging this old thread up, to show the info was nearly good!!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/07/audi-a3-14-tfsi-new-125hp-turbocharged.html

The 1.4TFSI will be in Ireland in October I'm told with 125bhp as predicted by the article last year, if a little late.

Note that it is the TFSI not the TSI, so it is the turbo only engine not
the twincharger one from the golf. Would guess that this would leave less room for remapping the engine, but there must be some room here.

Wow. Quite a shuffle up. Look's like FSI's are being killed off slowly but surely (btw I mean N/A'ed FSI's).