1.8T AGU engine: Where's the ECT located and...

luckymacy

Reaction score
what's the latest and greatest redesigned ECT replacement part number for the AGU engine?

VAG GOM software shows an in intermittent fault, implausable signal, code 16500

I've never noticed anything 'off' or intermittent about the reading on the cluster itself but I think my gas mileage isn't as good as it should be so I'm grasping for ideas...

thx in advance!
Lucky

Last edited:
By ECT do you mean engine coolant temperature sensor? If so, the latest revision is a green version, and it's a clip in sensor secured with a small clip and rubber seal located in the top rad hose, cost over here is about £28 from audi

I found the darn thing. I almost confused it with a similar looking sensor that turned out to be for the air conditioner! Here's a pic, with the sensor removed, of where the darn ECT sensor mounting point for the sensor is located on the AGU version of the 1.8T. Turns out you have to move the two plastic engine covers to see it let alone get to it. It's on the drivers side of the engine, aka the back.
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/682/imag0028.jpg

It turned out to be the blue colored one and I replaced it with the green one, the latest version.

Many thanks to Santos and Andy from Ross-Tech for helping me find the problem via their software. I went to their company offices to get the software help. What a neat group of engineers and technicians they have. I was impressed as an engineering manager myself! Here's a pic of Santos reading my module data.
imag0016x.jpg

and a pic of some of the private cars of the employees. Yep, pretty much all German cars! Every friggin' one a manual transmission as well. Die Hards!!! The company founder/owner, Uwe Ross's A3 is on the end.
imag0017f.jpg

Humm, not getting the parts right the first time or two seems to be an Audi theme like the darn door clips I just had to replace with the 3 version of them. Knock on wood the BWM 325Xi my wife drives hasn't had issues like this yet!

Yep, pretty much all German cars! Every friggin' one a manual transmission as well. Die Hards!!!

Is your 1.8T an auto then Lucky?

Are manual cars really as rare out there as people say? I couldn't live with an auto, I LOVE changing gear!!!

Is your 1.8T an auto then Lucky?

Are manual cars really as rare out there as people say? I couldn't live with an auto, I LOVE changing gear!!!

Oh no, the A3 is a 5 speed manual (wish it had 6 for the highways here in the states!). But yes, if you are married, kids, a stick is very rare...It's my first stick in 8 years and I'm lovin' it!

I just did a highway test (avg 65 mph over 140 miles) and the mpg averaged around 28. My wife's 6 cylinder, automatic transmission ALL WHEEL DRIVE BWM gets that much if not more in a similar driving test so that's bad for a car like this so my project is to get this sorted out. I think this car should be getting around 10 MPG more and that's relatively a huge difference so it's got to be something major wrong. Any ideas? I replaced the air filter, replaced the engine coolant temp sensor with the new green one, and did a spark plug check last night. By that I mean I took one out and it was PERFECT per the pictures of what a good running engine should look like. It's the factory original set of plugs. That's over 116000 miles on a set of Bosch F7LTCR as I just got off the phone with the one and only owner and she's never had them replaced. Man, I'm sold on those plugs but naturally they don't make them anymore. Best I can tell the new Bosch plugs are FR7LDC+ which no one in the states is carrying...

The car starts, idles, & accelerates great - especially for a car I'm pretty sure the turbo isn't working well, if at all but I don't know how to really test it. This car doesn't have any "Block 32" data to check with VAG COM if I remember right.
The bad news is that since the plugs show perfect ignition conditions, I'm not going to get much better fuel economy by replacing the plugs, don't you agree? Too bad as I was hoping that was going to be an easy MPG fix...

What plugs are you running? Audi place just told me to dump in some fuel injector cleaner from any store and it's as good as any cleanup they do.