1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8 TQS Coilpack query

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Diggy, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy New Member

[Nov 16, 2013]
    Hi all, been a long-time lurker on here. I have a quick question. Im pretty certain I have a coilpack fail on my car. Bought a bremi bolt down type from GSF this morning. Just taken the cover off the engine and the coils in there are push-fit types. Would it be a problem fitting this?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 19, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 16, 2013]
    change the pack for one that suits the car
  4. Diggy

Diggy New Member

[Nov 16, 2013]
    Cheers for the reply. Had the RAC round, typically they didnt have the correct coilpack on their van, so its a trip to ECP Wembley for me tomorrow to hopefully get the correct one. The RAC chap did connect the coil GSF supplied but although the car started fine it was still registering a misfire on cylinder 4.
  5. 16Klappe

16Klappe RacecaR forward is RacecaR backwards. Supporter

[Nov 16, 2013]
    Bolt down packs have 3 wires as the ignition amplifier is remote, push down packs are 4 wire as the amplifier is built into the coil pack.
    So no, they wouldn't work even if you did make them fit. And your breakdown man is a total idiot.

Buy genuine, or buy twice.

Worth checking the packs aren't covered by the recall. You might get a set for free.
    Gops likes this.
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 16, 2013]
    I assume you were supplied hitachi/beru bolt downs which would have worked, but given you have push downs already seemed stupid to use one odd one.

The older type coils wont have worked as stated, but the white top/insert one would have
  7. epox

epox Active Member

[Nov 17, 2013]
    ye give you local audi dealer a phone...i got mine done for free as there was a recall and the car is 10 years old!!!!!
    mark
  8. rhys1210

rhys1210 Member

[Nov 17, 2013]
    Yes call Audi and ask if your car has had the coil pack recall, if not Audi will replace them for free. They are £25 each from audi.

Ive had my mk4 golf and my s3 done under the recall
  9. Reesy

Reesy Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 17, 2013]
    You can get bolt downs for later cars as mentioned, not all bolt downs are for the older cars..

Get some 2.0t ones if you are planning on getting a whole set, they work just as well, if not better.
  10. Diggy

Diggy New Member

[Nov 17, 2013]
    Thanks for the replies. Got a coil from ECP this morning, will look into the recall and see if I can get them all replaced. Passenger window has now decided to stop working for some reason..........brilliant !
  11. Diggy

Diggy New Member

[Nov 18, 2013]
    Whilst getting the plastic clips for the window, I got Audi to check for the coil pack recall. My car is due one so will get it booked in this week hopefully. Thanks again.