1.8 TFSI Remap

Tempz

Reaction score
Hi all,

My brother has followed in my footsteps and bought an A3, a 2009 1.8 TFSI black edition. Needless to say that I'm envious!

One of the first things he wants to do is remap it. Has anyone had any experience of mapping the 1.8? Stock is 160bhp and seems quite a lot quicker than my stock 1.4T. Would the manual gearbox be able to handle the higher torque? Also, worth upgrading any parts for stage 1?

Thanks as always.

I also have a 1.8tfsi 160 and have phoned around a lot of places and for a stage 1 I've been told gains from 30bhp up to 60bhp and torque 40lbft up to 80lbft and prices ranging from 300-600. But have t seen any dyno runs or graphs, this engine seems to be the black sheep and all the most appealing mappers are 200+ from me

I have also been told that they may have to take the ecu out and open it up which I really don't like the sound of!

I have also been told that they may have to take the ecu out and open it up which I really don't like the sound of!
Give Celtic Tuning a call. They also offer a mobile service. There is also Bluefin who offer a DIY remap with a sort of dongle kit for £330 I believe.

I had an MY09 1.8 TFSI for 3 months last year - I brought the Bluefin Stg1 but the ECU wouldn't accept the map. Bluefin offered to try another at their premises or it would be ECU out for a flash. I'm not too sure but I think 09 was a change in ECU between models so some faced this issue. I was surprised how little could be done to the 1.8 but subsequently traded it.

I've heard mixed reviews about Celtic but no experience myself.

There shouldn't be any issue with flashing the ECU, it's a relatively common process.

I had an MY09 1.8 TFSI for 3 months last year - I brought the Bluefin Stg1 but the ECU wouldn't accept the map. Bluefin offered to try another at their premises or it would be ECU out for a flash. I'm not too sure but I think 09 was a change in ECU between models so some faced this issue. I was surprised how little could be done to the 1.8 but subsequently traded it.

I've heard mixed reviews about Celtic but no experience myself.

There shouldn't be any issue with flashing the ECU, it's a relatively common process.
Why did you need to remove the ecu to flash it?