1.8 T 163 Sport, Near no power for 5 mins with EML on...

chrissy20vt

Reaction score
Hi guys, Im new to A4's, I Picked up a well maintained A4 yesterday, It was advertised as being hesitant at first that clears quickly, The car actually has a constant EML on that I also knew, I don't have the code for the error just yet, But I shall tell you all that I know so far - so someone can help possibly! Everytime the car is started, It revs fine, and after a minute or so, the revs become a little rough and lumpy, after revving the car to around 2000rpm the lumpyness clears, car is then ready to drive - although I believe with the EML on the car is down on power as its awfully slow and lazy IMO. - IF I TRY TO DRIVE the car without letting the lumpy idle clear, When pulling out/off there is near zero power, flat to the floor in 1st the car is crawling and holding up wildlife at this point. Then clears to better, but still as mentioned above very limited performance. Car has 200k!, all the valves & hoses have been replaced, I think the turbo is actually ok - no more smoke than any other Ive seen, No odd noises etc.. Are there any plugs I can disconnect to see if its an electrical issue,? Can it be a dodgy MAF?

Just an update, this issue seems to be as if its when the auto choke is on, when the cars idle rests at sub 1k ashes fine, I've wriggled all my plugs and cleaned some contacts, disconnected the battery and the eml for now has gone off, Power is very sluggish under 2500rpm, is that the nature of a 163 Avant, I never expected S4 performance, but its VERY sedate...

this sound like the pcv valve , and the reason its running crap is all your boost is going straight into the sump !!, look up faulty pcv valve .

Ok, My PCV is new, I have been told it COULD be my secondary air injection? I Googled its location and it said under my airbox, Not the case, Do I have one & if so.. where?

why dont you just get the coeds read and save yourself time and money i could guess at a few things that could cause the problem but it will cost you and may not solve the problem

Chrissy20vt what is your location? Someone local to you may be able to pop over/meet up and scan your car with VCDS. Taking random guesses could lead to a waste of money and time as you 'could' be looking completely in the wrong areas.

Dan

Reactions: moggs
I'm be in Barry at my place I. The waterfront this weekend
If you want to call by ill scan for beer tokens