1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8 SE intermittent starting issue

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by easytease, Feb 1, 2006.

1. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[Feb 1, 2006]
    every now and again the car is very slugish to start.

when started from cold in the morning she's fine not a problem, but lately when shes warm/hot and i try to start her she struggles to start. the reves reach about 800 but a quick blip on the go pedal seems to rectify the low revs.

any ideas? shes a 1999 on 53k (belt and waterpump being done in april!)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 30, 2014]

3. FezzR

FezzR Member

[Feb 1, 2006]
    coolant temp sensor is a good place to start, the gauge reading is not a good representaion as the ecu and gauge run on a different circuit within the same sensor
  4. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[Feb 1, 2006]
    coolant runs up to the 90 and sticks there nomatter if im doing motorway speeds or stuck in traffic.

anyone in surrey/hampshire got vagcom and wanna gimmie a hand?
  5. joost

joost Active Member

[Feb 1, 2006]
    like Fezz says, they are are actually on different circuits. IIRC, there's actually 2 sensors at the back of the engine - one is for the gauge, other for the ecu. vagcom should show up any probs though.

Mine plays up occasionally when warm starting, seems to struggle to start then cuts out and needs a bit of throttle to get it going again. This led me to think I was having probs with my temp sensor (albeit on a '95 1.8) as mine also seems to be running quite rich. Had it plugged into vagcom courtesy of FactionOne this weekend and no faults showed up about it so back to square one for me!!
  6. Willod

Willod New Member

[Feb 2, 2006]
    My first post and i will be paying close attention to this thread since im having exactly the same problem.

Car starts fine from cold but from time to time starting from warm it doesn't seem to turn over enough and stalls then requiring a longer turn over to get it started. Yes and mine is also running rich.

96 1.8 with 74000 miles on the clock
  7. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[Feb 2, 2006]
    hmm coming to think about it, mines prolly running a bit rich too. ill have to get a vag com sorted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
  8. joost

joost Active Member

[Feb 2, 2006]
    Exactly the same as mine Willod, have to crank it a bit longer and give it a little nudge on the pedal. Runs fine then for a bit.

Mine's got 122k on the clock though - d'ya think it might be time for a new 'un?
  9. easytease

easytease cheesypeas

[Feb 2, 2006]
    new what? car or temp sender?
    if its unlikely to not start then i'll wait till the service in april, otherwise ill get a new one and fit it at the weekend
  10. FezzR

FezzR Member

[Feb 2, 2006]
    the temp sensor wont always show a fault.

a fault will only be logged if the sensor gives a faulty signal, it could be reading 90 degrees when its actually -4, the ecu doesnt know different so just sets fuel for warm start.

using vagcom read measuring block 1 or 2 depending on engine and it will give a temp reading this is coolant, see if its right at cold and at high temp.

Also A4 fuel pumps tend to get weak getting hot and cold start problems, this is usually V6 models though apparently
  11. joost

joost Active Member

[Feb 2, 2006]
    New car Easy, use it as an excuse mate! Go out for a new temp sensor, come back with a car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Fezz, that would explain why there were no fault codes for the sensor on vagcom when I had it plugged in at the weekend. Could still mean it's a quick fix though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  12. FezzR

FezzR Member

[Feb 3, 2006]
    ive got the same problem with my V6 but i just dont wanna shell out for a fuel pump
  13. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 3, 2006]
    I would go for a temp sensor too mate, make sure you get an OEM one tho, apparently the copies are known to be poor IIRC