1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.8 Cylinder head bolts removal tool

B5NUT Jul 4, 2010

1. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Audi A6

I need to remove the cylinder head, so need the correct tool to remove the head bolts. I just want the one tool, as I don't plan to remove any other cylinder heads, also must be 1/2" drive. I've seen one snap-on tool on ebay for just over £21, is that a good price or can I get one from halfords, eurocarparts etc?

2. tux

tux Member

Is it the same M9/10 Polydrive (Ribe type) as the V6 engines? If yes the cheapest I could find was about £16 delivered on eBay. Didn't want to spend more than I had to as I will likely only use it on the one head job.

If it is the polydrive type, a little tip is to tap it into the head bolts with a small hammer before trying to undo them or it slips and chews the bolt heads up really quickly.

This is the one I think

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Audi-Skoda...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item335e3492fb

3. B5NUT

That is my consern, that's why I want to make sure I get the correct one.

4. tux

tux Member

The reason it needs tapping home, is that the bolt head, by its design has a bit of a cup effect going on and is invariably full of oil. Pushing the tool into the bolt head doesn't displace the oil and it only goes in 1/4 to 1/2 way. A gentle tap helps to squeeze out the oil and seat it fully home. :sm4:

5. B5NUT

I Understand that, my consern is that possible **** in the bolt not just excess oil and the use of a cr@p tool & 15 years with being in the same possition = one stripped head bolt......

6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

7. jcb

jcb Active Member VCDS Map User

unless you plan on whipping off heads all the time it is a £15-20 bit of jewelry that will sit in your tool box for the next few years.
    I have one if you just need to borrow one, not planning on removing heads anytime soon.

works a treat and is the VAG specific one rather than a generic one

8. B5NUT

Thanks for that, will let you know.