1.8 apt cranks won't start. Has spark has fuel

wysiwyg

Reaction score
Went to drive it earlier and zip. Turns over, has spark, stinks of fuel and plugs are wet so not pump. Scanned it with a mates bag style obd reader only got the code saying id pulled the battery.

The word on the street could be coolant temp, but down the climate control check and it throws 30'c. Would cps lead to no fuel or would there be fuel?

Any relays or other fuses I should check. Pulled 29 and that's fine.

If the plugs are wet id say you are getting no spark, have you definately got spark ??, is the timing belt ok ?? Have you checked compressions. Whens last time you drove it/had it running ??

I pulled the two plugs that are accessible and tried them on the engine. Definite spark. Last driven yesterday. Timing belt is in 1 piece. Everything seems ok

Sounds like youve flooded it? Was the previous run VERY short? Like start, draw forward on drive and shut off?

I presume it sounds "normal" when cranking, ie wub wub wub wub, as opposed to weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee or other odd noises.

If you've got fuel and spark it should run.

Jam the throttle into the carpet and crank for 15seconds and see what happens. Do not pump the pedal or otherwise **** around with it, just keep it jammed into the floor.

Sounds like youve flooded it? Was the previous run VERY short? Like start, draw forward on drive and shut off?

I presume it sounds "normal" when cranking, ie wub wub wub wub, as opposed to weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee or other odd noises.

If you've got fuel and spark it should run.

Jam the throttle into the carpet and crank for 15seconds and see what happens. Do not pump the pedal or otherwise **** around with it, just keep it jammed into the floor.

Yeah like 10m!

sounds normal just won't fire.

Ill try that later.

Would pulling all the plugs let it evaporate if that doesn't work?

10meters? That would do it. I think very short runs like that from cold cause the plugs to get fouled up, which means it doesnt fire and then gets flooded. I've had it happen a couple of times. Now if i have to move the car like that, i move it, then hold the RPM's at 3000 for maybe 5-10 seconds before shutting off, and that seems to stop it happening.

You might need to clean the plugs up if it doesnt start, but full throttle should clear the excess fuel

Pulled all the plugs. Middle two cylinders damp. Checked the pack and ht for spark, fine. Pulled fuel off the rail 5' of distance on turnover. So not pump.

Tried flooring it but not much joy. Airing with plugs out at the moment and gonna jump it as battery is dying.

Tried what Aragorn suggested. Turns over. Occasionally gives me one cylinder firing and car rocks. But nothing else

When it gave you one cylinder, did you keep the foot down and keep cranking?

You might need to stick some new plugs in if they're badly fouled.

Yupp. Foot planted. Gonna see if plugs are wet again

Next update.

Am I right in thinking the fuel pump doesn't prime on 2nd key turn? Only when engine cranking?
Pumping pedal with it being jumped results in a few fires and it almost sounding like it was going to go. Mate reckons fuel pump not enough pressure? You can just here and feel it when engine turning over. And poly cover off. But no noise on key turn.
Can here and feel te relay click under dash

Im sure the pump primes every flick of the key can you actually hear the buzz from the fuel pump itself ??

depends on the ECU.

M3.8 primes every turn, but i think the newer ones dont (and APT is ME7 isnt it?)

If the plugs are black stick a new set in. BKR6E's are cheap as chips.

Isnt easiet way to tell is to see if it has a second lambda ?? And the style of connector the black D' shaped one ??

you really need vagcom there good just for a quick scan and thats it, these cars can have problems and not even show codes so your best of having the full tool just incase it doesnt throw a code and you can read measuring blocks etc to see whats going on.

She's alive. Thanks fellas. Firstly I think it was flooded and when ******* around with the fuel relay it wasn't seated properly. Pushed it in again after trying to easistart and it fired but injectors weren't firing. Sorted