1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Crazylow

Crazylow Member

what can you do to these tuning wise

2. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Do a search mate as there is loads of info on the subject.

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Moderator

If it's non-turbo then not a lot I'm afraid.
    If it's turbo then sky's the limit (almost)

4. jcb

jcb Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    joking! non turbo 20 v are the dogs to start tuning as a n/a, they flow better than a race 16v head, cam throttle bodies, P&P....list as long as your arm

5. madvw

madvw Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    joking! non turbo 20 v are the dogs to start tuning as a n/a, they flow better than a race 16v head, cam throttle bodies, P&P....list as long as your arm

[/ QUOTE ]

only problem is that there's a huge price difference between tuning a N/A and a turbo'd car. you need to spend about £500 on a N/A for just 10 HP.

6. AndyMac

Ummm and £3k later you've got 150bhp, whoopeee do
    On a turbo you can get 200+ with a simple remap for £500.

7. can get about 40 bhp for 2.5-3 grand for throttle bodies.

8. AndyMac

exactly, when you get into that sort of money you'd be better off selling up and buying the decent version.

9. might as well get a 2.8 instead, probably uses less fuel than a 1.8 on throttle bodies and will be quicker anyway.

10. jcb

jcb Active Member

woh there!
    all I said was that tuning an n/a 1.8 20v had a lot of possibilities...not a turbo vs. n/a arguement

11. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 quattro Black Edition s tronic

The 1.820V non-turbo is a dog of an engine. No torque, no refinement, no reason to choose it.

Yeah, there's stuff you can do but the bhp per pound gain is negligible. You might as well get rid & buy a 1.8T or, better still, a 2.8V6.

12. Mustafa4hmed

Mustafa4hmed Member

yep performance wise i think the 1.8 20v engine is not good. I've got the A4 1.8SE and it really lacks pull. Although it does hav sum punch when u drop to 3rd and put ur fut down on motorway to do a 30-70 sprint.

Maybe i just feel this coz i drive my honda S2000 and 728i more.

Muzz