1.6TDI Towbar

JCMCN

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why you can't fit a towbar to the new 1.6TDI Sportback?

Welcome to the site.

Who told you this?

Hi all.
JCMCM . It's to do with the low CO2 emissions that Audi state for the engine. A mate at work had one of the 1.9TDIe that your engine has replaced this with. He had it new via Lease works car etc and Audi would not factory fit a tow bar as it would ( whilst towing I presume ) make the CO2 go above the then stated magic 120co2 figure. The model was 119co2 - all effect car tax etc as you know.

Depends if its to tow big things or just the bike holder, you need to check behind the rear wheels for the fixing locations, as the fitment is in place of the rear crash bar, 2 big bolts either side, probably the holes are covered up by there rubberised solution to protect from the road grime, I'd say if those holes are there then its definitely possible mate, I fitted my oem one & wired in aswell.

Yep, don't stop one being fitted I presume but you can't order one on a new car. A3 price and spec guide also states not allowed but they are just covering themselves i spose.

Yeah its all about covering there butts tbh, as they quote figures & I guess legally have to back them up, but maybe they should have a disclaimer for models with towbar, dont know why they didnt do this overall.

So legally.... You are not supposed to use a car as a 'Towing Vehicle' under the UK road tax laws due to co emissions?

I dont think I've heard of anyone being fined for emissions being OTT when towing mate, not yet anyway, personally I wouldnt worry to much, what yer wanna tow anyway?

Plod would not be any the wiser on such detail ! VOSA might know but would be a chance in a million why would they really want to pull you over anyway. Would they really be that bothered .

VOSA dont take a chance, they pull anything & anywhere, they're always bothered.

Touch wood havnt been pulled once tbh, if it was me I wouldnt even worry about it.

No same here, I wouldn't worry about it either. As the specific model inc the older 1.9tdie / car gets older and sold on etc, loads of new owners / people ( and car dealers ) will be none the wiser anyway and will just get one fitted .

Cheers for all the replies.
I currently have a towbar on my existing 1.9TDI, however I have a 1.6TDI on order and just awaiting delivery. When I look on Audi website they say that this attachment is not available on 1.6 sportback. I would not have imagined that they would go to the expense of changing the chasis design just for one model however I was wondering if it was something to do with the exhaust set up. I currently only tow a single axle half ton trailer.
I suppose if VOSA wanted they could open up a whole new can of worms if they were to pull over all private vehicles used for towing with regards to emissions. Just think the amount of caravan pullers that would have to pay a towing tax!!!:nunu: