1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.6 TDI performance questions

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by swbtz10, Jan 4, 2014.

1. swbtz10

swbtz10 New Member

Hi guys,

Hoping for some help,

just ordered an a3 SB 1.6 TDI S Line,and was hoping for some feedback on driving performance with sport suspension which I believe us standard on s line models also read the 1.6 doesn't have the more sophisticated rear suspension ?

thanks,
    Steven

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. Daz Auto

Daz Auto Active Member

"Is there something wrong? Maverick: Yes ma'am, the data on the MiG is inaccurate."

Sorry to worry you Steve. It looks like some of the reviewers have done a copy and paste job from a Golf review.

Still waiting for someone to confirm this, but at the moment it looks like all A3s are fitted with multi-link suspension. Low spec Golfs have light weight, torsion beam suspension. With Skoda and Seat only fitting the performance multi-link to their higher range models.

Though, from what I have read, the only time you are likely to notice is on really bad roads or cornering at speed. The 1.6 Golf we tested was certainly a very comfortable car compared to the Audi on sports suspension and 17 inch tyres.

4. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

All 1.6TDI engined 8V models have the 'less sophisticated' torsion bar rear suspension as do the 1.2TFSI engined cars. All the other engined cars have the 'more sophisticated' 4-link rear suspension. It does not matter if it is SE, Sport or S-line it is purely determined by the engine fitted to the car.

For a bit more information see my other post:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...ied-about-comfort-suspension.html#post2048419

5. swbtz10

swbtz10 New Member

Thanks for your replies and clearing that up for me.

6. yetirider

yetirider Active Member

I'll paint a picture.
    A guy in a seat leon pulled along side me last night wanting some fun at the lights, i make all the moves edging forward as we wait for the light change.
    They hit green he roars off the non race won, as i just plod off laughing at him.
    Why did i not have a go? I have a 1.6 TDI, great engine but its not a racer its a plodder.

So my question is why order an s-line with a 1.6 TDI, its a plodder in wolves clothing.
    For me an s-line should have an engine that matches what it is , a sporty car.

7. swbtz10

swbtz10 New Member

Haha I know what you mean but I might as well have a nice looking car that's not fast going from a 1.2 polo I might not be racing but it will still feel quick to me lol

8. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

Well it will a definite improvement on a 1.2 Polo, both in looks, quality and power even it won't be the fastest S-Line around.

9. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

I'd argue that even in S-line guise the A3 isn't particularly sporty looking. The S-line trim does complement the car and fills it out nicely but sporty? Not to me.
    So IMHO every combo of trim and engine is equally valid.

h5djr likes this.
  10. snowfree52

snowfree52 Full LED baby !

what is sporty to you ? have you seen cars from ten years ago ? You had to have a Ferrari to get that aggressive.

11. snakehips

snakehips Well-Known Member

Yes, my Ferraris are indeed sporty!:happy: