1.6 TDI performance questions

swbtz10

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hoping for some help,

just ordered an a3 SB 1.6 TDI S Line,and was hoping for some feedback on driving performance with sport suspension which I believe us standard on s line models also read the 1.6 doesn't have the more sophisticated rear suspension ?

thanks,
Steven

"Is there something wrong? Maverick: Yes ma'am, the data on the MiG is inaccurate."

Sorry to worry you Steve. It looks like some of the reviewers have done a copy and paste job from a Golf review.

Still waiting for someone to confirm this, but at the moment it looks like all A3s are fitted with multi-link suspension. Low spec Golfs have light weight, torsion beam suspension. With Skoda and Seat only fitting the performance multi-link to their higher range models.

Though, from what I have read, the only time you are likely to notice is on really bad roads or cornering at speed. The 1.6 Golf we tested was certainly a very comfortable car compared to the Audi on sports suspension and 17 inch tyres.

Hi guys,

Hoping for some help,

just ordered an a3 SB 1.6 TDI S Line,and was hoping for some feedback on driving performance with sport suspension which I believe us standard on s line models also read the 1.6 doesn't have the more sophisticated rear suspension ?

thanks,
Steven

All 1.6TDI engined 8V models have the 'less sophisticated' torsion bar rear suspension as do the 1.2TFSI engined cars. All the other engined cars have the 'more sophisticated' 4-link rear suspension. It does not matter if it is SE, Sport or S-line it is purely determined by the engine fitted to the car.

For a bit more information see my other post:http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...ied-about-comfort-suspension.html#post2048419

Thanks for your replies and clearing that up for me.

Hi guys,

Hoping for some help,

thanks,
Steven

I'll paint a picture.
A guy in a seat leon pulled along side me last night wanting some fun at the lights, i make all the moves edging forward as we wait for the light change.
They hit green he roars off the non race won, as i just plod off laughing at him.
Why did i not have a go? I have a 1.6 TDI, great engine but its not a racer its a plodder.

So my question is why order an s-line with a 1.6 TDI, its a plodder in wolves clothing.
For me an s-line should have an engine that matches what it is , a sporty car.

Haha I know what you mean but I might as well have a nice looking car that's not fast going from a 1.2 polo I might not be racing but it will still feel quick to me lol

Haha I know what you mean but I might as well have a nice looking car that's not fast going from a 1.2 polo I might not be racing but it will still feel quick to me lol

Well it will a definite improvement on a 1.2 Polo, both in looks, quality and power even it won't be the fastest S-Line around.

I'll paint a picture.
A guy in a seat leon pulled along side me last night wanting some fun at the lights, i make all the moves edging forward as we wait for the light change.
They hit green he roars off the non race won, as i just plod off laughing at him.
Why did i not have a go? I have a 1.6 TDI, great engine but its not a racer its a plodder.

So my question is why order an s-line with a 1.6 TDI, its a plodder in wolves clothing.
For me an s-line should have an engine that matches what it is , a sporty car.

I'd argue that even in S-line guise the A3 isn't particularly sporty looking. The S-line trim does complement the car and fills it out nicely but sporty? Not to me.
So IMHO every combo of trim and engine is equally valid.

Reactions: h5djr
what is sporty to you ? have you seen cars from ten years ago ? You had to have a Ferrari to get that aggressive.