1.6 TDI owners

Reaction score
Hello,

Relatively new on here, only my fourth or fifth post, but could I trouble you on a question re the 1.6 TDI ?
Considering buying a 13 plate (so 104 BHP ?) - just wondering if this car would be comfortable at 80MPH on a motorway (in theory, of course). Not so fussed how long it takes to get there but, as I do a 600 mile motorway round trip 3-4 times a year, I wouldn't want a car that felt strained cruising at this sort of speed. Dealer is nowhere near a motorway so my chances of test driving on such are pretty much zero. Is there much "poke" once you get above 70 or so ?
Many thanks.

I drive an S3 and my dad has the 1.6tdi which I occasionally drive, it will happily sit at 85/90 with no problem. The only issue with the 1.6tdi is if you put your foot down at 80, not a lot happens any time soon. BUT, it's probably perfectly fine, I'm just used to a lot more power !

As above. I have a 3dr MY15 Sport with 110bhp S-tronic. Happily sits at 80 or above and gets there quickly enough with family and all holiday stuff. I filled up car in Motherwell, drove to St.Annes, run it around all week and about to leave with still over half a tank left. That's sitting at 75-80 all way down. Can't complain about pulling power either, it's no hot hatch but it's perfectly fine under normal driving conditions.

Mate at work has the 1.6TDi. He hates it. Says it wouldn't pull a soldier off your sister.....his words.
He's always driven stereotypical rep mobiles so it's not as if his car history is big BHP.

Thanks for the replies. Had a look at the car and a drive but due to the location of the dealer there was only opportunity to drive on a A road - just managed to nudge 60.
Like the car but a big issue is tha it's done 44k (on a 13 plate) and there's only history of one service (at 38k) - it was however done at an Audi main dealer. They've checked digitally and apparently there is also a service book, but no history of what should have been a first service on either.
So real dilemma now, I'd say the car is competitively priced and it looks to have been looked after (so even more strange about the missing service) but I'm concerned about re-sale value, etc - although I generally keep my cars 5 or 6 years so not sure if it would be a massive factor by then ?
The car is at a (BMW)Mini main dealer.

I've had 520d Msports, Scirocco 210 DSG GT plus plenty other 200 ish bhp cars and the 1.6 TDi isn't as fast obviously but it's plenty fast off the mark and gets up to motorway speed with ease. Sounds like your mate doesn't like the fact he's in a 1.6tdi! The 1.6 has the same torque as the 150 2 ltr engine! Just saying.

I am using 2014 1.6 TDI 110hp A3 Sedan.
80 mph equals to 130 kmh. Driving about those speed is not a problem at all for this engine.

Of course it will not be like all other petrol cars. This is diesel car and it's main purpose is fuel economy. But no worries about speeds at 80 mph.

Hello,

Relatively new on here, only my fourth or fifth post, but could I trouble you on a question re the 1.6 TDI ?
Considering buying a 13 plate (so 104 BHP ?) - just wondering if this car would be comfortable at 80MPH on a motorway (in theory, of course). Not so fussed how long it takes to get there but, as I do a 600 mile motorway round trip 3-4 times a year, I wouldn't want a car that felt strained cruising at this sort of speed. Dealer is nowhere near a motorway so my chances of test driving on such are pretty much zero. Is there much "poke" once you get above 70 or so ?
Many thanks.
Even our 1.0l fiesta isn't strained under those driving conditions...

I had a 1.6 tdi courtesy car for 5 days and drove it on all kinds of roads. It doesn't drive like my 1.4 cod and I am no diesel fan, but it was an impressive power unit, I have to say. One big difference I noticed is that if your speed drops in 5th or 6th gear, you'll need to change down to maintain progress, but cruising at 80 mph would be no problem. The 1.4 cod is remarkably flexible in the higher gears.