1.6 Petrol Engine - is it any good?

Steve vRS

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post but long time user of the site (helped solve a few problems).

My wife has a 2001 1.8T Sport and we've had it for nearly 6 years. However, it's time for a change and she would like a 8P A3.

There appear to be lots of 1.6 cars for sale on the Audi website but I have it in my head that this is an old engine and I'm as well paying a bit more for anew 1.8 or 1.4 TFSI engine.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Well audi themselves phased it out and replaced it with the 1.4TFSI, that says it all for me.

I know the 1.6 in an 8L like you already have is awful, underpowered and antiquated

i agree and ive got a 1.6fsi lol , its underpowered and a bit of a loud engine but its very good on fuel at motorway speeds and if you go for the fsi its a 6 speed gearbox but if i could get a new a3 now it would be a bigger engine thats for sure 1.8 minimum

Ive got the 1.6FSI too, and it does my head in. Really good power for a 1.6, but still doesnt perform all that well.

But like fnmrst says, 6th gear on a motorway your laughing with 45+ mpg and the cheaper fuel.

i had a 1.6 non-FSI with an automatic gearbox i.e. the slowest 8P ever made, and tbh it wasn't that bad. the engine is quite torquey so it doesn't feel like a piddly engine. give it a try, but bear in mind i swapped mine for a 2.0T as soon as i could afford to lol.

i had a 1.6 non-FSI with an automatic gearbox i.e. the slowest 8P ever made, and tbh it wasn't that bad. the engine is quite torquey so it doesn't feel like a piddly engine. give it a try, but bear in mind i swapped mine for a 2.0T as soon as i could afford to lol.
lol is the auto really that bad is it in the 1.6 haha, i would love to get something with a bigger engine in it when i can afford it only got 2 years left on the finance so will decide then i think i was thinking of getting a 2.0T mind you

I had a 3 door 1.6 and 5 door as well. 1.6 will be the cheapest engine to get hold of but for me it was no fun at all. Got a 1.4TFSI now and the economy is great as well as the power. Depends how much your looking to splash...

Dont go for the 1.6 if your gonna be coming from an 8L 1.8T. I'd just save for some extra cash and get an 1.8TFSI (if the price is too high). Then i'd go for the 2.0 FSI 150bhp there quite a few on autotrader and audi knocking around with under 55k for less than £5,500.

Dont go for the 1.6 if your gonna be coming from an 8L 1.8T. I'd just save for some extra cash and get an 1.8TFSI (if the price is too high). Then i'd go for the 2.0 FSI 150bhp there quite a few on autotrader and audi knocking around with under 55k for less than £5,500.
i agree with this given the choice i would swap mine for a 1.8 or above

Sod the petrols, i'm a slave to the Derv these days! :)