1.4TSi and 2.0TDi 170

mfspen

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently joined your forum, as I intend to buy a new A3 SB quite soon.

I had narrowed my shortlist down to the 2 diesels and the 2.0T petrol, but then I read about two new engines from VW : a 1.4TSi (twincharger) and a new version of the 2.0TDi with piezo injectors.

Does anyone know whether either of these engines will be available in the A3, and if so, when ?

TIA

[ QUOTE ]
Hi All,

I've recently joined your forum, as I intend to buy a new A3 SB quite soon.

I had narrowed my shortlist down to the 2 diesels and the 2.0T petrol, but then I read about two new engines from VW : a 1.4TSi (twincharger) and a new version of the 2.0TDi with piezo injectors.

Does anyone know whether either of these engines will be available in the A3, and if so, when ?

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi and welcome,

Yep these two engines are going in the Golf GT, but would only think the diesel variant would end up in the A3, as for when I've not heard anything yet.

The 170 TDI has been released and tested in seat altea and the review of the engine itself was not a good one.

SEAT are the sporting side of the VAG group alongside Audi so that explains that one...

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't always work out like that though. The old A3 never got the 150bhp version of the 1.9pd for instance (always struck me as daft)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but that was because the 150pd really was a little too unrefined for the Audi marque. I don't think the 170pd should be. More like the 130pd version of the 115pd and Audi got both of them.

God knows how they come up with these decisions. The TSi engine is the biggest advance in technology in a decade or two, yet it's been rather slow in appearing. It's now available for the Golf in Germany, but time will tell when we will finally get it. The Golf is due for a facelift, so perhaps then.

The 1.4TSi will take a lot of sales away from the 2.0 FSI, so whose to tell whether the A3 will get it.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/08/inside_vws_new_.html

I had hoped that the new TT would arrive with the 2.0 TSi, which is apparently in the pipeline. But, no news yet on which car and which markets will get it.

Oooh, it's on the German Audi site. €1000 more than the 140 version.

with your location being the North Pole you really need to have the Quattro 4WD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback and links. I probably won't bother waiting for the new engines.

I've got a test drive of the SB 2.0TDi and 2.0T DSG booked for Saturday, at my local dealer.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback and links. I probably won't bother waiting for the new engines.

I've got a test drive of the SB 2.0TDi and 2.0T DSG booked for Saturday, at my local dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably (undoubtedly ) cheaper to buy the existing 140bhp diesel and get it chipped than to buy the 170bhp diesel from Audi anyway.

Chipping will cost you around £350-£450,whereas I bet a tenner Audi will charge at least £1000 more for the 170bhp engine than the 140bhp version.

From the tests I've read of the 170bhp engine in the Seat,the aftermarket software companies will get your car driving better than the VAG technicians can as well.

The tests weren't very complimentary and suggest VAG have managed to mess the engine's delivery up completely,whereas the tests I've read of chipped diesels say they drive very well.

But what would get out of a chipped 170? Any companies doing that yet? The 3.0TDI goes from 225PS to about 270PS, so I would gues the 170 should get to 200 as easily as mine has gone to 170+, and give the 1-series a run for its money.

If you can, I'd wait and see what happens over the course of the next 6 months.

My Revo'd Tdi140 makes about 203bhp and just under 300lb ft, its certainly smoother than standard installation.

The Tdi170 should make at least 210-220bhp and 320lb ft, but it depends what VAG have done to get the 170bhp out in the first place, i.e. is it just an uprated 140bhp lump with piezo injectors.

When VAG upped the 150bhp 1.8T to 180bhp, we only managed to get the same 207bhp out of it, as the 150bhp version.