1.4tfsi COD long term reliability

Statiker

Reaction score
I'm considering going back to petrol and am interested in the 1.4 tfsi cod engine. However I'm concerned about its reliability over the 80-90k miles I'm likely to clock up over three yeasrs. The technology looks rather complex and having only 2 cylinders running must put additional thermal stress onto the engine. All adds up to long term problems in my mind. Hopefully someone can dispel my concerns.

It doesn't actually switch into 2 cylinder mode very much - depends how you drive. But if you are reasonably agressive it probably wouldn't kick in at all.
I wouldn't really think the engine would do 100K with no probs. if you are concerned, take a 3 year warranty deal.

I wonder whether the engine technology has been in production long enough for significant numbers of owners to have completed 80-90K miles. Does anybody have any info on that?

It's tech that Audi (and others) are running through a good number of models. You'd have to be pretty ****** confident about long term reliability to commit to doing that, surely.

Exactly, thewrongspeed. That's why I was prepared to give it a go. It's one of those features that you know you have but you don't really notice. The DIS tells me when it's in 2 cylinder mode, but other than that you wouldn't know, so it's hard to quantify the fuel economy improvement or any other effect. Contrary to what is said above, mine is often in 2 cylinder mode, quite possibly because I don't drive it hard. I did a lengthy motorway drive last night and it was even in 2 cylinder mode at 70 mph for some of that. I think once you build up the momentum, the engine senses the lack of effort required and eases down to 2 cylinders.

I'm considering going back to petrol and am interested in the 1.4 tfsi cod engine. However I'm concerned about its reliability over the 80-90k miles I'm likely to clock up over three yeasrs. The technology looks rather complex and having only 2 cylinders running must put additional thermal stress onto the engine. All adds up to long term problems in my mind. Hopefully someone can dispel my concerns.
Hopefully the engines are tested to destruction but I don't understand your reference to additional thermal stress. As has been stated the cod only kicks in under certain conditions, unoticable and rarely if you've a heavy right foot. My particular car had it's dmf and clutch replaced at 5000 miles but I think that was more to do with faulty components as I have not read about this happening anywhere else. Performance is strong for a engine of this size, as is the mpg but with your mileage isn't a diesel more suitable?

Good point about the diesel being more suited to the anticipated mileage. I think thatvwould be my choice!