1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.4 T FSi - HELP & ADVICE

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by samil87, Mar 3, 2010.

1. samil87

samil87 Member

[Mar 3, 2010]
    Does anyone have any experience of the 1.4T FSI engine?

I assume it's better than the 1.6.

What sort of mpg does it get?

How capable is it?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. alfiejts

alfiejts Member

[Mar 4, 2010]
    Only a tiny bit - but no one else has replied, so here goes....

I have a 2.0 TDi (140) and I had a 1.4T FSI courtesy car for a day whilst mine was in for a service.

The car had done 6000 miles, so the engine should have loosened up, but compared to my TDI it was just so flat and "underpowered" that I couldn't believe the difference.

I've checked and its meant to deliver 123 hp and 200nm torque. The TDIs 140 bhp and c. 300nm torque.

So, yes, I know that the diesel will have more "grunt", but the 1.4 felt just so flat - and it delivered less MPG than my own.

For the same 20 mile yourney I got about 45mpg from the 2.0 TDI and about 37mpg from the 1.4.

I know you were after comparisons with the 1.6 and its probably better than the old 1.6 petrol (it certainly is on paper), but its not for me....

We have a 1.3 Yaris - and the 1.4T A3 engine felt just the same - it did the job and got you from A to B - but there was no pleasure in the way that the engine delivers - it was just "bland".

The best bit was opening the bonnet and looking at the very cute and tiny turbo stuck on the front of the engine.....
  4. samil87

samil87 Member

[Mar 5, 2010]
    Thank You for the info.

Just what I was looking for.

Think i'm just going to have to take a few for a test drive.
  5. lundoz

lundoz Member

[Mar 7, 2010]
    Im very happy with my 1.4 tfsi. The turbo kicks inn from the start so it will give you the good feel of speed. To compare a 1.3 yaris to an audi a3 is just wrong. WRONG!!
  6. Stuhil

Stuhil Member

[Mar 10, 2010]
    Howdy!

My wife bought an A3 1.4TFSi S-Line in September 2009. It replaced her '56' plate Astra 1.6SXi. She has now done 8kmiles doing approx 70miles per day round commute. She absolutely loves it. We looked at a 2.0 TDi but we couldn't justify the near 2k difference in price as it is a 'second car' albeit her main means of transport. Having sold my A4 privately and ponder placing an order for an A5sb or A4 Avant, I've driven her car a few times of late and really think the engine is great fun.