1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

07 A3 - aftermarket stereo installed everything works except for the RADIO!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Paulbuddy, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Paulbuddy

Paulbuddy New Member

just purchased a used A3 (which i love) it came with a pioneer aftermarket stereo installed. I've had the guts out of the dashboard several times and i can not figure out why the simple radio has horrible reception (only barely picks up one channel). Ive narrowed it down so i know its not a problem with the stereo which leaves me with the Antenna. Looking on this forum i'm seeing the Antenna system is way more complicated than just a plug. Any ideas that i could check? Are there known problems with these systems? Thanks for any help,
    paul
  2. _G_

_G_ Member

I'd be tempted to look for corrosion, cracks or use contact cleaner to check the radio wiring. Was your radio reception fine before?
  3. JohnE

JohnE Member

You need an adapter to supply power to the aerial amp Google or the search on here are your friends
  4. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

As said above, it's due to the way the A3 aerial works. User NHN on here is the man you need to be talking to...
  5. Paulbuddy

Paulbuddy New Member

OK, I did a quick google search and found several adapters none that screamed at me THIS IS THE ONE YOU NEED. I'm new to complicated Audi systems, could you let me know where this adapter would be installed and maybe more directly which one I should be looking for? Thanks for helping this newbie
  6. Rom

Rom Member

Good luck.

I fitted a Pioneer almost a year, still dont have radio.

Im currently using a Fakra adapter, which goes from the Audi Fakra aerial lead, to the Stereo ISO aerial lead, this is powered from head unit as instructions. Get barely any signal.

Im now waiting on an ISO adapter, which will be basically the same, except it goes into Audi ISO aerial, not Fakra.

They basically have 2 aerial leads as standard, and some kind of powered, matching amplifier, which is what causes the problems. Now i cant for the life of me see why a Fakra adapter is available, if it just doesnt work.
    But thats what ive been told now, to use ISO, forget Fakra.

Yours being 07 could be double Fakra, or something else. Mines earlier, and is 1 Fakra 1 ISO.
  7. Paulbuddy

Paulbuddy New Member

That sounds like what may be my problem. I think this stereo system was professionally installed (from the looks of it), and it seems like from feeling around that it already had an adapter installed. Do you have a link to the ISO adapter that you ordered? I've also heard that the aerial amps like to go bad and crack so maybe it needs to be replaced. I don't understand what caused a simple radio antenna to get so complicated.
  8. JohnE

JohnE Member

What aerial connectors do you have?
  9. carl-1968

carl-1968 A4 Derv for sale ask me for details!

Been here (with pioneer) and decided to go DaB with a seperate antenna but still have an original double din symphony should you want to go back to standard and it works fine, pm me if you are interested
  10. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

On my pioneer unit the radio isn't as clear as dab but I can get radio stations... It's not as strong as factory units are with the double antennae system as the pioneer does not support that but it does work.

i have used a simple iso radio adapter and made sure that I wired it correctly to the 12v power feed to power up the radio amp and it all works...

the Audi system uses a radio amp located in the boot hatch with aerials located at the top and bottom of the boot window, if the amp does not have sufficient power then it won't deliver you with a decent signal.
  11. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Thread revival!

The previous owner of my A3 had a JVC unit fitted but the radio didn't work at all so I have popped the standard symphony unit back in as I tend to listen to the radio more then anything. I am now looking into new single DIN head units and have been reading all about the radio issues on the new Audi's.

If I get one that has DAB and comes with it's own sticky windscreen aerial I'd rather replace it with a proper aerial that can be hidden away somewhere. Can anyone recommend a head unit that has red lights (to match interior), DAB, and Bluetooth?

Also, if anyone has any experience of a hidden DAB aerial please let me know.
  12. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

One of my guys has an A3 with a newer pioneer head unit with dab, has the red lights and works perfectly. Although his is a double din screen version and had me install a reverse camera kit onto it.
    He is on the forum... Username is something like deegee69
  13. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Thanks Ash,

Don't start giving me ideas or more mods! A reverse camera sounds pretty cool though!