1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

05 TDI dashboard gremlins

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jackmoulder, Dec 26, 2009.

1. jackmoulder

jackmoulder New Member

I was driving along and the boot light came on the dashboard. Then the dashboard flickered and went dead. No lights or dials but the engine was still running. Parked the car, and when I came back the alarm was on. From then on all my warning lights on the dashpod flickers like christmas lights every time I start the car. Then the dashpod dies. That's when nearly everything else dies;

V/AC display,
    control cluster - no indicators, full beam, electric windows or wipers

However the hazards and vanity lights do work.

When I lock the car no indicator light flashes and the alarm sets off. After silencing it, it later sets off at random intervals. Can only stop it by leaving the car unlocked.

No dampness in either footwell. I may have punchered the rear wipe water nozzle while trying to unblock it with a needle.

What is going on with my car? Any help would be apreciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Paul Laird

Paul Laird Member

Dont know if this would help but i had a3 tdi at my work the open boot light would stay on sometimes on the dash and the alarm would go off, i found the connector for the boot latch had water ingress from the rear wiper washer pipe, witch in turn was causen a short, cleaned connector out, refitted washer pipe, job done fault cured, as for the other faults i havent came across

4. Khufu

Khufu Well-Known Member

I'll guess that that the jet wasnt blocked, that instead the pipe had popped off and in operating the rear wash wipe you could have sprayed water into the tailgate and shorted some of the electrics. I'd remove the trim in the tailgate and check that all is attached & dry. I'd then check all the fuses.

I'm assuming you dont have access to any VAG diagnostic software? This could help in diagnosing where the fault is or has occurred.

This thread may help locate a fellow member that may help:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=84603

5. jackmoulder

jackmoulder New Member

Thanks for the tips. I don't have a VAG diagnostic software though. Will have a look at the link.

Paul (or anyone else), any tips on how to clean connector, refitted washer pipe?

Many thanks

6. Paul Laird

Paul Laird Member

i used a airline to clean out the connector of water, then applyed silcon grease( contact grease) in mycase the pipe had came off, so i just pushed pipe bk on job done

7. jackmoulder

jackmoulder New Member

I've tried all of the above. It worked for above 10 mins. Once I reassembled all the panels, the issues came back. :confused:

Anyone have any ideas??

cheers.