'04 2.5 TDI Quattro Sport Avant

Geordie Mike

Yeee-haw
Reaction score
Looking for a lifestyle estate (dog...) with some sort of power to it, as I've finally repaid those student debts and have a bit of money to me. Don't want to buy new (depreciation just sounds painful) but want something reasonably new. Fuel prices only going one way, I'm looking at diesel, as there is a reasonable amount of mileage a year. Options....

A4 1.9 TDI 130 ps - there seem to be a wealth of these around

or...

A4 2.5 TDI 180 ps quattro sport avant, 30k miles £22k dealers price to be knocked down (especially comparing to other prices nationally)

I've looked at the A6, but it seems a bit too big for what I'm after, wondering if the allroad is a compromise, whether used prices will be affected by the new release too.

Anyone any ownership experience, advice etc?

That sounds high for the 2.5.

I only paid 16k for my saloon, it's a 53 plate and it did have 10k more miles, but it is fully loaded, see my sig.

I'd go for the 1.9 with a re-map. My 1.9 with the re-map was almost as quick and powerful as my 2.5, but with much better fuel economy.

But isnt the 2.5 a 6 cyl and much more refined, quieter etc ?

Remap is not always good advice, I presume some people still like to keep it stock for re-sale etc.

I have been looking at the 2.5 Avant too as an upgrade from the 1.9TDI 130 saloon I have for the reasons I mentioned at the top, so I'd be looking with interest at people opinons on this one

Yes, 2.5 is a V6 and is smoother and quieter, but the MPG is the trade-off. If you are going to be doing long distances, the 1.9 is the one to go for. If you're doing less than 12k miles a year, go for a 1.8T(more BHP, quieter, and roughly the same MPG). I'm dissapointed with my 2.5's MPG, and I regret swapping my 1.9. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A re-map can be reversed when it comes to selling the car, and there are members on here that have covered thousands of miles without any problems with a re-map, so don't discount it too quickly.

Annual mileage is 15k/year, with trips to work coupled with 600+ mile round trips back home. £22k is what the dealer is advertising at, I have looked around enough other dealer sites to say he's up to £2k over, so I would hope there is some wiggle room in the price.

What sort of insurance implications does a re-map have?

Depends on the insurance company. Some don't charge you more, some charge you £30-£40 more, some £200-£300 more, and there are some that won't insure a re-mapped car, best to shop around.

If I was in your shoes, I'd go for a 1.9. You can get a very high spec, low mileage model for £20k, and a re-map will set you back £400-£500. You'll still get 45-50MPG, and save a bit on road tax, and have cheaper insurance. I only get 30MPG, so you'd save yourself close to £800 per year in diesel on 15k miles.

Thanks for all this. Reading around not too many folk seem impressed with the Allroad; is there any real difference in size between the A4 & A6/offroad - I know what the books say, but any feel fo how much of this is useful?

If the A6 is too big, how would an Allroad be a compromise? It's an A6 on stilts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just my perception/assumption that it's too big really, after looking around one. I'm willing to be swayed by opinion.

Steer clear of the Allroad. Just drive as many of the different variants of A4 and A6 that you can, then make your mind up, then search for the exact car & spec you want. It may take a while, but it's worth it. Although the A6 is a bit bigger, you'll notice the increased comfort and far more room in the back and boot. BTW, quattro is not available on the A6 1.9TDI.

I have a 2.5TDi Quattro Auto and get around 45 MPG on long journeys, I get an average of 35 and I drive in a manner the old bill wouldn't be too impressed with. My last Audi was a 1.9TDi 130 sport 6 speed manual and I got around 50MPG on long runs and 35 average from that but it was no where near as nice to drive as the 2.5

It's a real paint trying to decide what to do form other peoples views but Audi do offer a 30 day exchange on any used car so if after lots of test drives you get a motor you are not happy with, simply change it and it won't have cost you a fortune.

John

Hi Folks...
Well I have just joined the Audi A4 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro Sport owners club - having previously owned E36 2.5/2.8 Coupe BMWs for the past 10 years....and the ONE thing I can definately say is that the fuel consumption is totally amazing compared to the old petrol straight six beemers. I am getting around 500 miles to a tank from the Audi, which is roughly the same size tank as the old BMWs...so Quids in !

I find the Audi very pratical, very smooth to drive and feels very sure footed in the wet or dry, although the BMWs did have more of a grin factor in the dry....

With full heated buffalino leather, armrest, heated/fold up mirrors, Zenons, mudflaps, RS6 18" alloys, cruise, DIS, Bose, etc its great !

NOT looking forward to the mega expensive cambelt change which is at 80K miles (mines only done 25K, so it may have to be done at the end of 2007, as it will be 4 years old then)

Congratulations on the car John. Post up some pics as soon as you can, sounds like you got a mint example there.

Oh and let the modding begin!

Glad you like it JohnboyC, I love mine even if it's not as economical as a 1.9 and I average 22-24k a year.
Geordie Mike I would say just give it a try, I think you'll love the 2.5

No way would you average the same mpg in a 2.5Q and a 1.9 FWD. Just the quattro itself would eat away about 5mpg on identical cars.
Simple fact is 1.9 130 you will average at least 44mpg (no matter how you drive). 2.5Q will average 30-35, so around £500 a year difference on 12k miles annually. So the 2.5 won't cost a huge amount more to run on that mileage.

Take it from me, I was using at least £40 a week in my E36 328 Sport Coupe BMW (fab car - miss it still)...my 180hp A4 Avant 2.5TDi Quattro Sport is the Dogs dangly bits...and for the same mileage uses £22 a week mainly back & forth to work....and the Audi & BMW E6 have roughly the same size tank so I can last almost 2 weeks on one tank with the Audi....I know the 1.9 is the one people should go for (and the 1.9's can be chipped), but I like my lazy 2.5TDi...mega smooth and numerous people I have given a lift to cannot believe its a diesel. Ok if you stop at traffic lights and wind down the windows yep its a diesel....but who cares...so a 1.9TDi can do 600 miles to a tank...my 2.5TDi does 500 miles to a tank.....and if you are THAT worried about the fuel bill, get a citroen saxo or Nissan Micra :)
Another thing is stick the 2.5TDi on a motorway, set cruise control, and even in 6th you never have to change down - all in all a fantastic realxing drive....
By the way , I searched for ages for a 1.9TDi Quattro (they are as rare as rocking horse manure with low mileage), so I went for a fully loaded 2.5TDi Quattro Sport instead....

Lastly what amazes me is that the new 2.0TDi produces 170hp....amazing !

I have a 1.9 Quattro and I'm well happy with it. There is plenty of room in the back and the dog likes it too.

WilkoS3 said:
I have a 1.9 Quattro and I'm well happy with it. There is plenty of room in the back and the dog likes it too.

I have one too(1.9 TDiQ Avant B6)
mine has high mileage but has been remapped by Revo, which, i'm guessing as i didn't have it done, gives 165-170 horses. It was hard to find, i concur that the V6's are probably easier to find on the 2nd hand market.
I currently use it to drive a 140 stretch of the M1. Without traffic i can also pop the cruise on and stay in 6th for the duration. Not many 1.9s can do this!! Its good on fuel.
The only reason why i will get rid of it is that my underground parking is VERY tight, and i may change it for an A3 if i can find a well-specced late model. It is a looker, with the space inside, performance AND economy(and cheap tax/insurance!)

I have the 2.5 quattro sport avant, I struggle to get more than 330miles to a tank £60 but it does sound nice and goes a bit,
However if i could of found all the same toys on a 1.9 I would of had that and chipped it, my friend has the 1.9 passat 4motion chipped and it keeps up easily.

Seeing as we have both .......
My A6 is the business for long haul and A road thrashes. Gets into its stride around 90+, just did Munich and back at the end of last month no bother. I would not be without the chip to sort out the bottom end pick up, in standard trim there is a bit of a hole below 1800-2000rpm. The A4 is more fun to sprint around town in. We sat in it as a family recently and did 500miles back from Cornwall with only one stop. Boot is huge, can fit both dogs and all the kit bags in if we are away for a week. It is not the thing to haul around town though. I am averaging 33mpg (say 525 miles a tank) over about 45k miles a year. Its on the long life service schedule, every 20,000 miles. Now done 172000 and goes like its new. It is the best car I've had over the last 25 years.
My wife's A4 is more fun locally, very lively to say the least, far quicker to pick up than my 2.5 A6. Superchip claim about 168bhp. Can be smoky when cold and in traffic. She loves driving it, feels very compact and sporty. She like the oomph of the A6 but finds it too big. However having just done the Cornwall return trip last weekend in the A4, it is not as comfortable in the back or the front, and doesn't have the effortless surge at higher speeds like mine. Noticeably smaller inside. With 2 dogs in the boot theres no luggage space. We've not had it long and my wife isn't as anal as me about keeping records but i think it is doing low 40s mpg pottering about, mid 40s on a run.
However neither have the grin factor of the FJ and thats in the shop getting fettled right this minute. Ahh back on 2 wheels again...

I've had 1.8t Sline, 1.9Tdi and now the 2.5 Tdi. All were avants and all were Quattro. I would say that the 2.5Tdi is easily the best car I've had and regulary returns 550 miles to a tank of heavy oil. Remapped to 220BHP and fitted B7 S-Line interior, Nav, tv,dvd and phone prep, cruise, fridge etc etc.
Mine is the se spec which gets the DIS as standard with the 6 speed manual. SE is better base spec and you can put RS4 rear anti roll bar and lowered springs on you have a cracking car. Also fitted the sport front and rear bumpers. Looks spot on.
HTH

i have just got a 2.5tdi v6 quattro sport avant 180, with grey leather nut trim sports seats and sports suspension wow what a motor

a4sline said:
Remapped to 220BHP and fitted B7 S-Line interior, Nav, tv,dvd and phone prep, cruise, fridge etc etc.

Hey, thats good mpg, would you say its helped by the remap?

Definately better, especially when you can consider the massive boost in mid range torque.
Really impressed, but if you accelerate hard, she does smoke a little.
Well worth it though.

a4sline said:
I've had 1.8t Sline, 1.9Tdi and now the 2.5 Tdi. All were avants and all were Quattro. I would say that the 2.5Tdi is easily the best car I've had and regulary returns 550 miles to a tank of heavy oil. Remapped to 220BHP and fitted B7 S-Line interior, Nav, tv,dvd and phone prep, cruise, fridge etc etc.
Mine is the se spec which gets the DIS as standard with the 6 speed manual. SE is better base spec and you can put RS4 rear anti roll bar and lowered springs on you have a cracking car. Also fitted the sport front and rear bumpers. Looks spot on.
HTH

Useful info, just what I've been looking for,

Are there any stats available, e.g 0 - 60 times etc for the modified version?

I've just had my A4 Multirtonic 1.9 remapped by SP Tuning. Absolutely superb more torque and better mpg. It feels like an engine twice the size.