01' A6 Avant 1.9 Tdi (AJM) sump removal advice please

Costellon

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have trawled the web looking for info regarding removing my A6 1.9 tdi (AJM) sump but have found nothing. I have a new sump sitting looking at me and want to get it done.
I had a stab at it today, loosened the engine mounts, hoisted the engine up an inch or so, removed all of the sump bolts (found the ones in the flywheel compartment) and the sump came away nice and handy ... problem is, getting it out - the lip on the flywheel end is restricted by the subframe/ crossmember and I don't want to hoist the motor any higher. Should I remove the bumper and put it into service mode or/ and should I slacken down the subframe ? What's the best and easiest method and are there any stickies on this subject ?
I'm working on rough gravel in my yard with limited resources/ tools and really don't want to drop the subframe if at all possible as i'll have no way to get it back up.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
You need to jack the engine much higher and it will clear. Care is needed when sealing it back up as it's easy to mess the silicone bead...

You need to jack the engine much higher and it will clear. Care is needed when sealing it back up as it's easy to mess the silicone bead...

Thanks, i've been at it for a few hours now, sussed that the earth strap, starter lead and egr crossover were fouling my lift and i've even put the front end into service mode.
I've lifted it as high as i'm comfortable with (serious strain on hoist head) and it still won't clear.
Do I need to drop the subframe somehow ?
Thanks again

Just finished. I created enough space by loosening (no need to remove them) the left and right hand gearbox mountings by a couple of threads - which enabled me to lift the engine/gearbox unit a little higher and I also loosened (not removed) all of the subframe mounts which dropped the subframe down just enough to clear the sump when removing the old damaged one and fitting the replacement unit.
If anyone needs any advice on this procedure on flat ground with limited tools get in touch.
Thanks.