1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£30 fine :(

Discussion in 'Rants & Raves' started by Randomjim, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 16, 2007]
    The inevitable happened and i got pulled this morning for my german plates. £30 on the spot fine and late for work grrr. Seems the police have nothing better to do at 9 in the morning. Strange thing is i got pulled over two weeks ago and the guy asked about my plates. I said they were for show and he let me off. :huh:

Rant over and cheque in the post :mad:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 17, 2007]
    I got the same once for a dirty number plate. Think it was more to do with the copper following me for about 8 miles on the M27, but couldn't do me for anything else, oh and also when he asked if I could read my number plate of course I couldn't resist!
  4. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    Thats stupid. All these foreigners about with latvian an polish numberplates are fine but if ours get dirty of have a small 'd' to the left of them £30 fine.
  5. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    Your plates are illegal for a uk registered car... simple... get over it and stop whining... you break the law you take the punishment.
  6. L1 HCS

L1 HCS Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    auroan you obviously don't know this is a rant thread.
  7. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[Jul 17, 2007]
    lol
  8. AndyMac

[Jul 17, 2007]
    I don't think his issue is with the legality of the plates, but more to do with tax payers money financing a pretty pointless cosmetic exercise which has nothing to do with safety, while something like 1 in 6 vehicles on the road is actually dangerously illegal - either unroadworthy, uninsured or unregistered.
    We are constantly told police resources are stretched to breaking point but they still find the time to do this shyte, while round the corner Mrs Miggins is getting mugged.
    When resources are stretched you prioritise.
  9. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    And I don't think the majority of people understand why the police pull people over for things like this.
  10. Beerzo

Beerzo Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

[Jul 17, 2007]
    They do it because its llegal an no body on here is under any illusion that its not.
    Its just that when your in your car that is in tip top condition regularly serviced and well maintained and this happens and while at the side of the road a 20 year old ford fiesta that is being held together with the bird **** its covered in drives by issuing a large smoke screen and the police dont even react to that.
    That is what annoys people. Yes they know there car has illegal plates but are the illegal plates really that bad compared to a car that is not fit for the road?
  11. AndyMac

[Jul 17, 2007]
    Thanks for the explanation - I feel enlightened!
  12. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    Your welcome. I for one and not an expert on this... but I have a fair incling why police do it, just can't be bothered to explain it as in general on here IMHO most people are anti police... so whats the point.
  13. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    They said some **** about speed cameras not being able to read the plates. £30 fine won't put me off though they look good so i'm keeping them on.
  14. motorbikez

motorbikez Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    Good on you I'm ordering some plates from dubmeister tommorow.
  15. Lowlife

Lowlife German Hardcore

[Jul 17, 2007]
    You can usually get round the fine by doing what I do, keep a set of legal plates in the boot, feed them some bull about being at a show the day before and you were in a rush and you forgot to change them, if you offer to change them there and then 9 times out of 10 you will get away with it.
  16. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    Yea i had some in the boot but he wasn't having any of it. Oh well.

Does anyone know if you get more than a fine if you get caught more than once?
  17. marms

marms Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    If you get caught twice you risk up to a £100 fine and the number plate being withdrawn. Should this be the case you car will be issued with a Q plate making it virtually impossible to sell.

i know this because my own private plate was correct in every aspect with the exception of no space between the number and the last three letters. I got a letter after being spotted by one of the NPR systems stating the above. I avoided a fine but had to have new plates made up and taken to the local DVLA office.

Be careful !!
  18. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    It's not a personalised plate it's just a pressed aluminium german style. Or do the same laws apply?
  19. marms

marms Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    Yeah I'm sure the same laws apply. You are effectively misrepresenting the registration number. that is the term used on the letter I got from DVLA. The fact that it was/is a private plate is irrelevant really. Perhaps your number plate doesn't have as much meaning as a private plate but if you loose the number and it's put on a 'Q' plate I don't think you'd be too happy.
  20. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 17, 2007]
    No true maybe i will swap them over and keep the german plates for shows. Cheers buddy.
  21. marms

marms Member

[Jul 18, 2007]
    Yeah I think thats the way forward. Seems a shame really as the German style plate do look good. But as they say ' The law is the law', regardless of whether we like it or not.

I certainly wasn't going to risk loosing a plate that I paid £250 from DVLA and recently had an offer of £2.5k
  22. baynesey

baynesey well you better unsell them, sharpish!

[Jul 18, 2007]
    [​IMG]
  23. Les 51

Les 51 A pint of Diesel please!

[Jul 19, 2007]
    Have you tried putting a GB badge over the D part of the badge so it looks like an english plate, except for the pressing? Not sure what it would look like or if it will stop a fine, but...................
  24. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 19, 2007]
    I might do that because i really like the pressed aluminium look. Then order a set of fully german plates with holders for shows.
  25. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 19, 2007]
    "on here" most people are a bit cleverer than your average chav and can handle a 30 quid fine easy so why don't you explain the point?
    vehicle infringement = EASY
    arresting any criminal doing a real crime = SWEAT
  26. shineydave

shineydave Member

[Jul 19, 2007]
    there's some pretty restrictive and definitive rules behind the make up of a number plate. the spacing and number size is clearly defined in the regs as is the overall size, distance to the edge of the plate and the reflective qualities, i'd guess the german ones don't meet many of the regs.

and just my 2p but i think as long as there's no silly sizes or fonts i can't really see any issue with german plates. the jerries are a lot more stringent than we are on safety issues and they work ok for them.
  27. benw123

benw123 Moderator

[Jul 20, 2007]
    Yes, it's petty that the police pulled you for the plates, but don't make a bad situation worse. If the same cop pulls you, they'll probably chuck a producer at you and then things get start to get silly - and expensive. Is it really worth it?
  28. AndyMac

[Jul 21, 2007]
    They don't issue producers anymore now everything's computerised.
  29. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jul 22, 2007]
    once again, there is a loophole that makes genuine (i.e. TUV approved) German plates completely legal....
  30. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Jul 22, 2007]
    Go on.......
  31. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jul 23, 2007]
    It's been detailed before...

Schedule II, Part 1 of the "The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001" statutory instrument which is:

And since GENUINE German plates will be TUV approved... this can be interpreted that German plates are fine on UK roads, for UK cars.

However, it can be countered by saying that the font is of the wrong size, regardless of the legality of the "plate" itself. But considering that German plates are pressed rather than printing, you could argue that the the German font is allowed under the aforementioned Schedule II, Part 1.

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I know a bit. I've not heard of anyone using this, but it might be worth a shot :)
  32. joost

joost Active Member

[Jul 23, 2007]
    I've just swapped mine back to the normal UK types - car's going in to be assessed for the insurance job tomorrow so don't want to give them any ammo not to pay out!
  33. nicklght

nicklght Imthegod

[Jul 23, 2007]
    I have got German plates on my car but keep the original plates in the boot just incase. I have white plates on the front and the back but i've been lucky so far as i've had them on for 5 months and havent been pulled! Hopefully my luck continues! :icon_thumright:
  34. nivagh

nivagh Member

[Sep 7, 2007]
    I see a few (modern) cars with the really old style black with white lettering. As far as I know, that's illegal too. My father in law is a driving instructor and he says there's no law about font, only size and spacing.

Anybody got definitive views on those two points?
  35. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Sep 7, 2007]
    As already mentioned. Things like NPR cameras can't read the plates. In todays anti-terrorist climate I think that goes some way towards explaining it.
  36. Macduff

Macduff Member

[Sep 7, 2007]
    Since when has "GB" represented England? :asskicking:
  37. AndyMac

[Sep 7, 2007]
    Post September 2001:
    "Characters must be 79mm high and 50mm wide with a stroke of 14mm. Intercharacter gap is 11mm and the space between the two parts of the registration number is 33mm.The only font allowed is based on the "Charles Wright" font.
    Once again these regulations apply to number plates FITTED after September 2001 .So your car could be 1974 but it would still need to comply IF THE NUMBER PLATES ARE CHANGED.
    It has never been legal to use screws etc to alter the appearance of the characters on the plate and the only other option when buying them is the EU emblem with a national flag e.g. Saltire."

Number plates must be replaced if they have been customised with:
    Stylised letters and/or figures such as italics
    Number plate fixing bolts that alter the appearance of the letters and/or numbers
    The law states that,
    You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers
    Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC). Offences may result in any or all of the following:
    A fine of up to £1,000
    The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN
    The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test
    http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/displayofnumberplates.pdf

That's pretty definitive, but then enforcing it is another issue
  38. Les 51

Les 51 A pint of Diesel please!

[Sep 7, 2007]
    Ummm I may be english, but I'm still British!! And I'm proud of it.
  39. AndyMac

[Sep 7, 2007]
    Doesn't it depend on whether you're talking about tennis or football?
  40. Randomjim

Randomjim Active Member

[Oct 21, 2007]
    Got another one last night lol, think i'll call it a day on the german plates. Not risking a 3rd time. Was chatting to the copper for about half an hour turns out he had a B5 2.8Q. Thats 5 times i've been pulled now i must be have a police magnet on my car somewhere.
  41. DriveByShooters

DriveByShooters Editor Audi-Sport.Net Magazine

[Oct 21, 2007]
    MOT law is different from "police" law....thats what bugs me.
    If the car passes the MOT then surely they should be "road" legal.
    MOT law states that the digits must be a certain height, certain spacing and readable from "i think" around 30 yards.
    The digits width cannot change ie narrow or get wider.
    I will get a copy of the section in the MOT reference book and post it.
    And in reference to people being "anti police"...maybe the police want to have a good think why so many people are "anti them"