Crash on Italian Road

Jesus. Whatever caused that white artic to veer so suddenly? Must have been a tyre go? I don't speak Italian sadly. Not looking good for either truck driver or the chap in the car who went clean under the white truck. Very sobering, as there was absolutely nothing either of them could have done to avoid it.

7 dead if I heard right.

I think the occupants of the first car would have been killed instantly. Probably both truck drivers too. Not sure about the second car - I think they would have been OK unless trapped and then engulfed by the fire.

Very scary and just shows how useless crash barriers are against a truck.

Does Italy allow the 50+ tonne super trucks?

(edit: watched it again and I doubt the people in the second car made it)

I'll send that link to the missus to translate, but yeah 7 mortalities from my limited italian at moment, but its not as if they fell asleep but looks like he deliberately steered across into the barrier, wasnt gradual as a sleeping driver does, very strange, but thats not the same barriers we have like on the 25 as they are tested for these huge trucks now which is why they changed from metal to concrete cause they bounce back of, italy man has some mental drivers trust me, really bad & dont give a *****

On closer inspection the barrier isnt even a barrier its like plastic shutters I've seen in italy, totally useless, if it had hit ours it would of run down the barrier more than likely not through it.

I saw another channels report on Youtube and it appears that the toll was 8 in the end. 5 initial and 3 later.

Looking at the above video (4 seconds and 8 seconds) the barriers look like metal ones that we have with the plastic sticks on top to stop rubber-neckers. That type of barrier is not effective against trucks. If you look at UK motorways most of the barriers are very similar except they use stronger ones at bridges and other places where a truck going off the road would be bad (if it isn't bad enough already!). This type of accident happens regularly in the UK too.

In my experience, Italian drivers are OK. Yes they don't care too much about pedestrians but on the motorways they are OK. I've not driven around Napoli which is supposed to have the worst drivers in Europe but northern Italy was fine. It's also entirely possible that the truck wasn't Italian. It could have been British for all you know.

I saw this recently on you tube....just shows how accidents can happen so quickly that are out of your hands, horrible thought....the first car didn't stand a chance.