How to deal with the Police...

in fairness to the cop, the cyclist did seem like a bit of a pr**k. if he ran a red a light he should be punished the same as a driver would be

Funny vid - but your right he should be punished the same as a motorist, but most Cyclists I see don't obey the highway code, running red lights, mounting pavements to beat red lights etc....

Well as an ex-copper, I can say that the officer in that vid made a complete pigs ear of that lol. There is an offence there, along the lines of;

Pedal cycling on a road in a dangerous manner is an offence under the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the 1991 Traffic Act.

Section 28(2 I think) of the act, says that a person is regarded as riding dangerously if (and only if), the way the person is riding falls way below what would be expected of a careful cyclist, and it would be obvious to a careful cyclist that the manner of riding in that way could be dangerous.

The term "dangerous" refers to danger either of injury to any person (including the rider) or of damage to any property.

Section 29 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended by the Road Traffic Act 1991, makes it an offence for a person to ride a pedal cycle on a road without due care and attention or reasonable consideration.

So under this act, he could have been issued a non-endorsable (£30, may be £60 now, not sure) ticket. He had no grounds to ask for his driving documents as he can't be given points and you don't need a driving licence/insurance etc for a push bike, but he was correct in asking for the guys details for the ticket. If he refuses to give them, then there is a power of arrest as the Officer cannot issue the ticket. Should he have given the officer his details and then refused the ticket, then that's his own lookout because the officer will still submit his copy to the central ticket office and it will obviously go unpaid. Then it will double etc etc.

Had the officer known the law properly then it would have been a different outcome, but it was funny

Last edited:
Should have just seized his video camera and sent him to court - would have like to see the look on his face then!

The guy on the bike is a ****.
Bring back the old days so the copper can give him a big smack round the head with a truncheon.

The guy on the bike is a ****.
Bring back the old days so the copper can give him a big smack round the head with a truncheon.

This, I hope his mother sees it and gives him a smack on the bottom!

But really if you think about it, the guy on the bike is right and the copper can't say or do anything.

LOL!

Was that bloke a fulltime cop? because most of the ones iv met seem to know the particulars of the law. He didnt have a clue

But really if you think about it, the guy on the bike is right and the copper can't say or do anything.

to be honest, i couldnt care less that the officer doesnt know the exact law or wording, its common sense. YOU RAN A F***ING RED LIGHT AND SHOULD BE PUNISHED!

perhaps if it was an obscure offence, i'd question the legislation, but imho this is night and day

LOL!

Was that bloke a fulltime cop? because most of the ones iv met seem to know the particulars of the law. He didnt have a clue

To be honest, i used to get the question quite often, '...under what law can you arrest me for this....' Its really p*55es on their bonfire when you can go, "Under secXXX of such and such Act 19** etc etc....." and reel it all off. Thing is with criminal law, a Police Officer is more clued up than a solicitor. A solicitor has time to prepare for a case and gets the relevent files etc to prepare with. He can then check the wording of a particular offence within PACE. A Police Officer has to know it on the spot in an instant, otherwise how can he be sure an actual crime has taken place to be able to summons/arrest etc.

The biker was an idiot, although Copper should of made it a bit more professional, he should of just nicked him full stop under Gary's advised laws, next time he wont be so ***** even if he has the right to question certain things, there are right & wrong ways to do things, for me next time he jumps a red light, gets clipped by a car or the like, do you think he'll be calling a copper then & then quoting road traffic acts etc, 2 way street, help them, they'll help you within confines of the law, mostly.

i deal with knob head cyclists everyday who dont signal, just pull out into the middle of the road, try to overtake cars by pulling into the the middle of the road or even the right hand side of road like motorbikes do as they think they can get away with it. almost knocked 2 cyclists over in the last 2 days because of careless cyclists who almost killed themselves coming out in front of me but instead of apologising for their part of stupidity they have the nerve to shout and complain that i wasn't watching out for them! i bet the will be swearing when they get knocked off their bike and injured or worse yet killed!

the policeman there on the other hand had no right to try and snatch the camera, if he couldn't deal with it which he obviously had no control of it, he should have just radioed in for extra support and got that cyclist off the road!