Future S3 owner of Kent

ratbag

Reaction score
Hi all, test driving an S3 from Tonbridge Audi on Thursday, and all being well I'll be ordering this spec soon. Currently driving an R56 Cooper S. Before that a 325 Sport Compact, then an MY99 Impreza Turbo (good grief I miss that car). I'm basically hoping the S3 will be a combination of the three. As long as it has the Impreza's oomph, the 325's quality (and handling) and the Cooper's sense of occasion, then I'll be happy. A 135 Coupe and Golf R are the next cars on the list if the S3 disappoints.

The forum's already been v. useful in helping me decide against mag-ride and adaptive lights, so thanks. You've probably saved me the equivalent of the imminent VAT increase...

Rob.

Hi ratbag
good choice of vehicle :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site, i'll look out for you as i'm always over that way :icon_thumright:

Got the car (an S3 Speedback in white, with 2500 on the clock) at 9am and took a spin round the back lanes around Hadlow. Affixed grin after first flooring the loud pedal. Take it easy on the twisty stuff whilst I get used to the dimensions of the car. Off to Benenden next, with Wendy, to drop some stuff off. Wendy likes the comfort of the S3 compared to the MINI and also likes the looks of the car (she's never said that about any of my previous cars...). So the car gets wifely approval which is obviously the most important thing.

Back cross-country, via Marden, Paddock Wood and sundry other villages. Plenty of grunt, but not much steering feel at all. Brakes about as well as the MINI (well enough). Noise levels good. Try S mode on the 'box. Wooohooo! Going up the gears that's a whole load of fun. Coming down it's a bit weird, but can't quite describe why. Most of this chunk at well below speed limit, testing the ride on some of Kent's finest cratered road surfaces - much better than any previous car I've owned.

Heading towards Goudhurst, from the Lamberhurst roundabout, I exit the roundabout with gusto and get a very nice Scooby-style launch down the road (not at all sideways, just a nice hook up with the tarmac). Then, weirdly, I'm bimbling along at 60 (seriously), when someone flashes me and gestures to me to slow down. Figuring it's a friendly alert about plod, I wave my thanks. But, no-one's waiting in the hedges or lay-bys, so this guy either saw me in the distance, coming off the roundabout and took offence, or was so dazzled by the Ibis white paint job that his judgement of speed was completely out of whack. Plus, given that I was driving below the speed limit, on the correct side of the road, not weaving or talking on my phone or having a conversation with a passenger, what business was it of his anyway?

This afternoon's itinerary is a trip up the A21, M25 and A2 to see how it fares on long-distance slogs. I work from home, but occasionally go to Slough to kick a server, or trek up the M11 to Lincolnshire to see the family, or even more rarely nip over to Geneva to see my brother and his family.

So far, I think the S3 is doing enough to get my vote, especially given the difference in price between it and the 135. It will take a while to get used to being less "involved" than with the MINI, but the comfort and increased gruntsomeness (?) should make up for that.

Thanks for your attention and for the welcome,

Rob.

congrats on getting the car! Glad you are enjoying it and wifey approves, always a plus lol!

Have fun!

Back from the second half of the test-drive - the motorway. No worries on that score, although economy was a bit low (28mpg according to the on-board) given that I just set the cruise to 70mph and sat back. Showed it off to a few old work colleagues and they all made the right noises, but also all agreed that white was not the right colour. That's the last decision - red or sprint blue? Erring towards blue at the moment. Sad to give the car back - good sign.

Good write-up there.

S3 is a brilliant car, but I must admit I'm not a massive fan of sprint blue. I'm all about the stealth. Brilliant Black, Black Edition... now were talking.

Hi Ratbag! :sign_welcome: to the site!