New User - Multitronic Gearbox Question Please.

audi fan

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls

I am brand new to this site, so please be gentle :icon_thumright:.

So here is my dilema. I have had Audis in the past and, on the whole, have been a very happy owner/driver. However, my last experience, with a 2002 A6 Avant 2.5 TDi, with the Multitronic gearbox, left me really dissapointed. The gearbox was awful and the car spent a lot of time in the local Audi dealer. I think that the problems with that gearbox have been fairly well documented on this forum, but, like the others, I had the 'jumping out of gear' problem, the gearbox going into neutral (despite the fact that the selector was in drive) and the sluggish pull away in first etc. Things got so bad that we decided to sell the car in the end and it was all very sad.

So, here I am, wanting to get back into an Audi. I would really like an auto box and I have found an 2005 05 A4 Saloon, with 23K miles fitted with the multitronic gerabox. So, can anyone tell me, have Audi improved these gearboxes or are they still a problem. I would really appreciate any feedback or advice. Thank you.

Welcome matey. Good luck in your search. Sure is a buyer's market!!
I have the DSG box in my A3, and love it! No problems to report of, and changes gear without fuss. Also the 'flappy paddles' work a treat, and is alot of fun in 'manual' mode.
Like any automatic, it is never as good as the driver's choice of gearchanges, like it can change gear on a corner when least expecting.

Hi Matt

Thanks for your reply.

Please forgive my ignorance, but are the DSG and the Multitronic the same thing?? The car I am looking at does not have paddles, just the manual mode on the auto gearshift. Dave

Welcome to the site dude, good to hear you are after another Audi, I would presume that they have improved on the cars and their gearboxes, but to get more info on it, have a gander in the A4 section and they should be able to advise you more appropriately.

Cheers
Nilz