Hello - P14VA

p14va

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just recently bought a '98 Audi A3 1.6 that had been sitting in a body shop for ages and then on someones drive for ages for pretty daym cheap!!
Just started fixing it all up so I'll be asking you all for help soon!

kinda crap pic at the mo but ill get more up when i clean it soon

OK it says I need two or more posts to post pics sooo...

SP_A0349.jpg

Nice wheels!! good luck with doing her up......what do you plan on doing to her??:hubbahubba:

funkidiva said:
Nice wheels!! good luck with doing her up......what do you plan on doing to her??:hubbahubba:

Not much modding at the mo, more getting it back up and running!

On sunday I had a look at the cooling system and the coolant was all gunked up! it was like a brown paste rather than a pink liquid! lol.

Anyhow, flushed out the coolant and the checked all the pipes etc. there was sludge in the pipes too so flushed all that out with coolant and water etc. The radiator was rusting all over the place and it looks like there was a coolant leak on the inlet of the radiator, so bought a new one of those too.

Next, Flushed out all the oil and changed oil filter. Filled her up with 5l of oil, but I dont know how much goes in there?? anyone know how many litres to put in?? at the mo its on a sloping driveway so cant use the dipstick to check properly yet!

Started her up and she ran fine. got the coolant flowing to clean out the insides and thats gonna need flushing again.

Just finished changing the spark plugs and they were a PITA to replace!!! Im assuming its the exhaust manifold that goes over the engine and towards the back? had to take God knows how many screws out to shift that slightly to get at the spark plugs.

Apart from that, changed the air filter and pollen filter, Took out the old one and it was pitch black!!! so that deffo needed changing!

Thats where im at so far, just about to go out and flush the Coolant one more time and put on the new radiator.

Tomorrow I'll change the gearbox oil and get some new stuff in there. The Brake fluid will probably be next with a full set of front and back brake pads and disks.

I think that should've sorted the main problems then. Ill wait until I've done that then give the whole thing a proper clean too, engine bay included.

Also looking for some new headlights too cos some of the clips have broken off/aren't working properly.

So this is what it looks like at the mo on my drive:
SP_A0352.jpg

This is one with the whole of the front end stripped:

02112007247.jpg

and heres the pollen filters!! can you tell which one is new?!?!:
SP_A0354.jpg

Sorry bout the long post!!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

i like wot ur doin...good luck, ive played with coupla a3's..let me know if i can help on anyythin

Shifty said:
i like wot ur doin...good luck, ive played with coupla a3's..let me know if i can help on anyythin

Thanks mate! Will do!

Update:

Flushed the whole cooling system but it was still overheating. Found that the thermoswitch on the radiator wasn't working so changed that over and now its not overheating anymore.

Instead, its over cooling! temperature stays at about 70ish never really gets upto 90. Looking into changing the thermostat and the temperature sensor but which one is the problem?
Might just change them both as they're reasonably cheap.

Got it on the VAG-COM and a fault came up with the pre-cat lambda probe so guess that'll be next.

A bigger problem was the alarm and electric system:

When I dis-connect the battery and then re-connect it, the indicators keep flashing, and the LED next to the ignition also start flashing. It just constantly does this until i lock/unlock and start the car a few times and then lock/unlock the car a few more times.

Whats up with this?? Im assuming I keep resetting some sort of immobiliser code or re-setting the key or something? :S help!

Its also got an aftermarket alarm fitted so I have the remote for that and not the standard audi one.
At the moment that remote doesn't do anything. great.
I'll have to change the battery in it and see if it makes any difference.

I guess this will be a ****** as I'll have to find the alarm module in the car.

Anyone know where the alarm module is??
thanks!